Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What grinds your gears?

+71
pablowapsi
Auroralikethesunrise
waffllecat
RennisTora
KaZe
artimies7
Nighthawke
ugilick
CrimsonZeke
Dreadstunlock
bigro
Kairu88
Mr_M
TheGreatHibiki
3D Ninja
scienceguy8
Youchip
yellowrock
Felonious Exalt
Haventownsend
Ganthan
Latrans
Xenathos
Drunkenvalley
not_cenaris
rpx
dog3oy
Blacklite
Chells
Damien Darkside
Nikolai
Triskelli
Frist
MicasR
BeDaOrLiSeAr
Paranoid
Aimereta
Clockwork
Zumbo Prime
JimmyDimples
p1x13st1ck
blind_dead_mcjones
cammyjag
Maple_Fish
stephanodude
Rad
Trevon Fox
GoldenDragon
Forthwol
Sketchtastic
5c4rl37
xombie
Concrete
mariachidevil
cenaris
Winds
Leak
Jaebird
hiddenflame
Pandora
wolfpax181
26_9
BenRG
xivk
Stormcrow-18
Lazarus Firenze
MadxHatter123
MrFreeeman
Zaran
delicious lambchops
Pietja
75 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20 ... 29  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 29]

276What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Annoying people in the library who won't shut the hell up and and be quiet. No, the library is not a place for you to blast your bad music. No, it's not a place for you to try and badly rap along with it. It's not a place for you and your stupid little friends to freak dance with each other while you badly and loudly try to rap with your annoying music.

It's annoying, disruptive and rude. You're in a freaking library. People are trying to read and study. If you want to be an obnoxious wannabe rapper, go home.

277What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Pietja

What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Kasztan

This is a pannel form a Polish sort-of webcomic about our reality - and here's a picture showing how we menage to deal with the doggie leftovers. Nobody, literally, gives a shit about picking that stuff up. Dog owners, especially here in Warsaw (capitol city) have their noses so high up that they wouldn't dare to bend over and pick their doggies feces. So, images like this one are not a caricature - it's a reality.

For anyone interested - here's the blog - http://boli.blog.pl/

Although hear my warning - it's often adult-themed (sex & stuff) and touches the Polish reality and mentality. Not to mention it's in Polish Very Happy.

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

278What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:20 am

Clockwork

Summer nosebleeds. It' summer where I am, and I've already got 8 on different days. Thats just an estimate.

Why did I say this? Cause I just had a nosebleed.

279What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Zumbo Prime

Zumbo Prime

Clockwork wrote:Summer nosebleeds. It' summer where I am, and I've already got 8 on different days. Thats just an estimate.

Are you taking any medications? I ask because I would frequently get nosebleeds when I was on depression medication, but once I stopped I very rarely get them anymore.

280What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:19 am

Clockwork

Zumbo Prime wrote:
Clockwork wrote:Summer nosebleeds. It' summer where I am, and I've already got 8 on different days. Thats just an estimate.

Are you taking any medications? I ask because I would frequently get nosebleeds when I was on depression medication, but once I stopped I very rarely get them anymore.

No its just, I stay in the third floor of my house and its hot as hell.

Never happened in school though, airconditioned rooms and all that stuff. Very Happy

Though its stopped, it still sucks.

281What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 am

Pietja

Touchy subject, but one that helluva pisses me off :

Peadophile paranoia.

I totally understand that I can't make photos inside metro stations, vital train stations without proper photographer papers - case of safety. But today, as the weather was nice, I went out to do some photos. And right next to my house there is a basketball & soccer field at wich kids play. So I thought it'll be a nice excercise and maybe my amateourish portfolio could be a little bit richer, counting as I have only shots of nature, architecture, some of my friends and old bums wich I bribed with cheap wine. But, knowing about the paranoia of pedo stuff I looked around for someone adult that was overseeing these kids. I found an older guy and asked him if there is his son or daughter in the crowd. He pointed at him and looked suspiciously at my camera. So I've explained that I'm amateur photographer, I've given my full name, told what do I want to do, assured him that I won't do anything without his permission and if he'd want to, I'd sent him photos of his son. I even told him, that I'd give him my phone number. He agreed and we talked a bit about the mentioned fears, or - as I see this - a paranoia, about parents posting pics of their children naked on the web and seeing freelance photographers as a peados at the same time. Nice guy, all in all, but while we were talking, a young lady came to us and asked my what am I suppose to do with "this camera". I've explained that the guy agreed for me to take photos of his son playing soccer and she told me that she'll call the police.

Fak, wat?!

The guy went WTF almost as much as I. I told her that it's not her child I'd be photographing, but she knew better, that her kid will also be on the photo and she isn't willing. So I told that I'll try to make that kind of shots that won't include her kido, but she was still angry as fuk and took out her phone threatning me with police. I looked at the guy, he shrugged, I thanked the woman politely ("well f**k you, goodbye") and went home.

I was just astounded by the size of some parents paranoia and at the strenght of it. How they allowed to switch their common-sensed parental care into a schizophremic fear of their children by the media. I was aware of these fears but not about the size of it - after all, c'mon, I was willing to give my personal data along with telephone number and - if those pics would be ever published - the websites that would post them. But still, no. That is terryfying.

And when their children will be 14-16 they'll start rebeling. I knew few girls like that wich were breed on a short chain of overprotective parents and when they've reached that age they'd lost their dignity and sobriety forever. Example - my cousin wich was also a child on a short lash. She treated the loosing of her virginity as a big, rebelling f**k you to her parents. I'm not gonna write who'd she lost it to and in what circumstances, but her folks had a lot to think about after beating the shiet out of her and giving her a year-long grounding post-factum. And after that they've stopped caring. And when that happened, she started to respect herself a little, but let's say - she'll never be the girl her parents wanted for her to be.

Thus, that paranoia and short-leash upbringing is a double edged weapon although I must say that I kind of understand it as a sort-of-a protector of a twelve year-old (wich I have tons of pictures in no way filthy) girl. The small thought of something happening to her is dreadfull but - come on. Not every adult out there talking to your child or wanting to take photos of her must be a peado and filthiest of filth. Or maybe I'm wrong? Maybe I should give myself up to the cops?

It's sad that because of some sick fucks and overhyped media attention other must also feel it in some way. Kids by being raised on a short lash, parents by being worried too much and other adults fearing of possible denunciation by some "worried citizen".

Eh, I guess soon all photographers will have to register their data to a police potential crimminal database...

PS. I know maybe this topic is too heavy or uneasy for some feeble souls, but it pissed me off and it pisses me off.

282What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:46 pm

Pandora

Pandora

That was pretty fucked up, I agree. You offered the guy your personal information and phone number, and just about everything he'd need to track you down. That woman was being a psycho and overreacting.

283What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Pietja

Having a working photographer as a friend I asked him about that kind of cases and he said that he got that kind of response almost always whenever he wanted to make some photos - not just children - but even adults.

Thing is, the personal interest of a civilian, non-public person is defended by the law, thus that person needs to give his permission for being photographed. And there is a difference in photographing someone who is aware and unaware of it. Unfortunately, I've read on a Olympus polish forum about the case of a guy who made few shots of bum in center of Warsaw and this bum - imagine - called police. What a suprise it was for the cops that he cited article 81 of code of copyrights that states that a person must either agree to be photographed by a word or by accepting a payment. And he agreed to none of it. Add to the fact, that bum knew that a photographer could retrieve data that he promised to delete so police had to take his flash memory card.

There is a ongoing and heated discussion about it on many photography amateurs and professionalists forums and there is one sad conclusion - that people stopped trusting eachoter when they have relitively good living conditions, acces to the world throughout the web and when there is no war threatinig the nation. My mother remembers that people in communistic times in Poland were more friendly because they had one common enemy - the state & the commies. Social life - even though it was tougher to maintain without being suspicious - was somewhat, as my mother said "clearer". I don't know, it's an observation towards Poland, but this paedophilia paranoia came to my country from west. And, like in the west till this day nobody cares to notice that most cases of that crime comes from withing families - a strong, condensed social groups made on special rules, when most of the bad things stay hidden to the eyes of the outsiders.

We care about our privacy - perfectly understandable - but to what point? I don't post my photos anywhere but I don't mind my friends posting photos of me as long as I won't find them on gay-dating site or something. I don't make a fuss about the fact that some guy from asia wandering around Warsaw's Old Town made a photo of my person. I don't give a damn when I'm being photographed with the young girl I've mentioned above as long as she doesn't mind. It's not a peadophilic picture. I don't care if the guy who made it is combing his beaver to that - if he does it because he have a problem - that's fine. As long as he stays away from the real children.
Being overproective about our privacy and privacy of our children, pets, cars and other personal stuff is leading towards paranoia wich, in conclusion, leads to alienation, maybe not necessarily to atrophy of social life & communication but to it's quality as it undermines moral and cultural honesty towards each other. I hate seeing people living in a ridiculously protected housings behind tall walls with survilance cameras on every corner and still being suspicious about every outsider that comes to their yard. My cousin (that one mentioned above) is living on that kind of housing and when I was visiting her and my auntie and uncle along the security guy ordered me to show me my ID and to leave a signature telling me that he won't let me in.
THIS is a paranoia. Being forced to give all my personal data to some guy after elementry school or trade school who works for a piss-poor money on a housing full of cameras and still having the possibility to being kicked out because some overprotective freak would call cops. I had that once - I was sitting next to my cousin on a swing, talking in the light and reach of at least two cameras and after thirty minutes police patrol came to me and her and asked what we were doing. It was 19:00, mind you. The night silence hours were 22:00-6:00. We weren't loud. Thing is - I was a stranger and the old pensioner who called the cops haven't seen my cousin too many times, I guess.

What can a man do besides doing a facepalm and drinking yet annother shot of tequilla?
Police country? Rather a police world, coming soon to a neighbourhood near... oh, wait - to your neighbourhood.

Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad

Sorry for any mistakes but it's 4:00 in the moring here where I live and my insomnia is live and kicking although I barely can read clearly...

284What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Rad

Rad

Well, I'm back. I've been gone for a while. Work work work. Piss poor job (Market Research a.k.a Telemarketing sans selling.)

Well, now... I'm transitioning to a new job, getting trained and getting "Skills".

Security guard... We all know what that means right?
Fire guard... Basically, I'm a security guard who tries to prevent, and in case of an emergency, evacuates and cooperates with the fire department.

Yay, it's a full time job!

But what grinds my gears about this is that all of the training I need to pay for, it 4 times as much as I get with my market research job in a week. >_>

So I borrowed $300 from my father and paid $80 out of my wallet upfront, didn't tell him "Hey, I paid X much first but I need more." No... I explained, "Dad, I got hired as a security guard and I... I need to borrow some money from you for training."

I hate borrowing money, I have my debts and I don't need more. -sigh-

So I'll be able to pay him back in my first 2 paychecks while being able to pay for my food, transit, and debts. Right?

But he wants me to pay back Y amount every week. Not his choice but someone else's.
I quit my market research job, and I don't have any income for a week... or two. maybe three. Until I get placed.

My father is reasonable but his wife is a bitch. The bitch sucks my dad's life out. So... She bitches at him (and me...) pay back $30 a week. That's 10 weeks for $30 a week. Fuck that. Fuck that noise, and she needs to chill.

I know I have my debts but I have a plan.
Tyvm.

And Pandora and Pietja, nice seeing you again.

285What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Hello, there Rad.

Grinding my gears? People who have no sense when it comes to politics, and support "rable-rousing" as my friend calls it, no matter what the ACTUALL cause of this rousing is. To them, it's just, "Hey, this person is making noise about politics they don't like! HOORAY FOR THEM! What? They want to want to violate the legal policy of a public store by standing in front of the doors and bothering EVERY customer that tries to go in and shop there, because they don't like the local bus system? GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!"

Really? ...SERIOUSLY? Now, I've gone to a few protests myself, however, I was NOT violating a local business, nor was I bothering innocent passers-by, and I wasn't breaking any laws, not to mention we were PROTESTING PROP 8.

Really now. These people need to use their common frikkin' sense and judgement before they just go cheering on ANYONE and EVERYONE who says something publically about a politician or what have you. There was a doctor who posted a sign on his buisiness saying "If you support Obama, GO ELSEWHERE." Now, personally, I think that's ridiculous because POLITICAL PARTY ASSOCIATION shouldn't MATTER when you go to the damn doctor. All the doctor needs to be worrying about is doing their job correctly, and that is treating the patient's condition, regardless of who they did or did not vote for. Discrimination is discrimination. And the only reason he does not ACTUALLY turn people away is because legally, he CAN'T unless he wants to lose his job.
A friend of mine is the type of person who supports any and every ding-wit out there that does something like this, regardless of the cause behind it. When it comes to shit like this, common sense is a good thing. I don't care if this guy doesn't like Obama, but publically declairing that he has an express desire to NOT treat patients that support him, and would turn them away were he legally capable is fucking over-the-top. But my friend is all over it, saying that "Good for him! He's taking a stand! Rable-rousing!" Um, no, discriminating. He's so bitter over his opinion on politics that he actually doesn't want to serve people who disagree with him. I'm sorry, but I cannot support that.

286What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Pietja

Hah! That reminded me that I know a guy who is an eternal revolutionary. He's always opposite to everything. When lef-wingers were in charge, he was a right-winger, when right-wingers rule, he's lefty. He explains that the world keeps changing only because of changes, constant confrontation and the existance of opposition. He can support femminist only to be found among chauvinists parade next month, he can cheer for gay-activists to walk along conservative catholics next day.

And I do understand his views & logic. I'm kind of like him, although I'm too lazy to ramble & protest. Although I was on a femminist parade once with my friend, but just for kicks Very Happy.

Still, when in person, he's a decent guy, although he can piss off some people with defined views. I, personally, don't care, because I belive - like him - that only constant changes keep the world turning. Today's politicians are too corrupted, to focused on media-whoring to be left for long-term rules. Thus, they need to feel the pression to promote themselves by their acts, not their faces. But people are dumb and easy to manipulate, so politics play in eternal campaings.

Besides, protests without boom have stronger impact than casual ones. Ask the islamic fundamentalists.

287What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Pandora

Pandora

No offense to your friend, but all that says to me is he can't actually make up his own mind and relies on the actions of others to make choices for him. Constant changes or not, he could actually end up giving support to some really bad causes.

...And if chauvanist parades actually exist, that is really sad.

288What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Pietja

Well, not exactly chauvinist, but a few minor social-conservative factions with fascist or nazi dust on it in Poland belive in chauvinist deep down inside.

But yes, it's sad. I feel the same in cases of femminist parades. I honestly don't know how they look outside my country but up here, they are a really sad events to watch and hear. But, as I wrote before, I was there for the kicks, and me & my friend found that mob hillarious. Then again, we found National Revival of Poland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Revival_of_Poland) events to be more riddiculous (and scary) than that women support group mentioned above called simply Women's Party (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partia_Kobiet).

And my friend made up his mind long ago. I shared his point of view even before I knew him, although we manifest that view in different ways. We belive that changes are always good just because they shift & move the constancy. And we belive that constancy is bad. Thus, constant changes phrase is somewhat an oxymoron, but it shows our logic Very Happy. The only constant that is good is the constant change.

289What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Well, I respectfully disagree.

And I have a really important question, were these women "feminist" or "feminazi?" There's a big-ass difference.

290What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:42 am

Pietja

You know, when they got hyped by a speech of their party leader they kind of acted like those feminists from dark side of the moon - more for women less for men, no hippie equality, just rants and fierce shouts about taking back for millenia of slavery done by men, having at least fifty years of almost total rule... angry female mob utopia. It was bizarre and when the lady in front of us sat down after heat of excitment calmed down a little, she gave us this accusing look, like "hang those f***s!". That was scary as we were, um, two men with maybe seven guys total on a spot full of women, over eighty of them at least, wanting mankind (sexist word! le gasp!) to burn.

But after that there were some pretty reasonable lectures about modern issues in general politics, social politics with, of course, heavy emphasizing women-oriented issues. But during talk about social issues one guy stood up (he was along with his friends) and asked what do women's party think about the unfair court cases of rape, childcare in cases of divorce and family violence that work on a loss of a men. Again, like was in our case, they were treated with angry looks. After all, how those pigs can talk about punny male problems on a open debate in woman's party?! The leader, calm and classy as she always is ignored these questions by saying that "men have enough of privlages already". "So" - his friend took voice - "women attack our most vunreable spot - our children". Then, he told in a brief how his ex-wife took his daughter from him, reduced weekly seeing time to monthly and suing him for more money for children. The judge was female, the jury consisted of woman only every time he was dragged to the court. This is issue of Polish law society, that only women have chances and respect in family-based cases. Same with jury where, in the best option, there is one male. "Where's the justice in that?" - he asked with unconcealed bitterness - "I have my own apartament, good salary, I could handle my child while my ex-wife is living with her parent, living off a part-time jobs and my money. And I have nothing for it. One seeing in a month, one single day.". And in reply, an somewhat unkempt, student-aged girl stood up - "Maybe she doesn't have a job because of injustices of market dominated by male" to wich man riposted "She never finished her uni, where she could find a job without it? On a construction site? Tell her that". Silence. I want to laugh, I want to cry. The guy only added that he was everywhere seeking whatever help he could get. To no avail. Every lawyer told him that he has no chances, that he has to mediate on his own with his ex-wife in terms of childcare. Thing is, she said worst of him in the court, accusing him of things he haven't done and wasn't proven to be real, but still, those accusations were took under serious consideration when it came to judgement. He was refused (by judge) to copy transcripts from the cases. He asked again where is justice in that to wich he heard that it's not the place to bring these topics out into the daylight. They stood up, cursed, and went out. The whole place was silent but an atmosphere of hatered was in the air with maybe a little bit of shame of sorts. My friend had a really pissed of face. I asked him if we're leaving, he said yes. At the door he shouted some very nasty words and stuck out his hand with middle finger straight.

So, as I said it was funny. Until then. You can say that the leaders of the party were quite reasonable and talked logicly about, all in all, important stuff but when confronted by a broken father, broken by our broken system with lot's of legistlature errors wich women in our country gladly use for their causes, she was speachless or tried to ignore it. It'll be fine if it was just a women manifest gathering, but it was, if I remember correctly - "Woman's Party Programme Debate about Social and Ecconomical Issues" or something like that. Magic words. Debate and Social. And, as far as I'm concerned, legislature errors that damage social statuses are a good topic to talk about in a debate. So, to ask your questions, after I came home I had mixed (to say lightly) feelings about this whole mess. On the one hand it was a femminist equality & co debate, but on the other hand there was a greater weight of the crowd reaction, the question this guy asked and hypocritic reactions wich lead me to the "femminazi" (I don't like that word, btw) option.

And as I see in media or read in news most of femminist manifests are quite often in a very mean spirit towards not just a patriarchal world-view but a man himself. About the individual unit with peepee, each and every one of them. Those real femministic debates, not manifests, are reasonable and calm discussions about modern-day issues but no one want's to be bored to death by them in news, right? So the media show femminsts as a crazy, unloved females that never had this peepee mentioned above in their cherry pie or have some psychic imbalance because some event from the past. I have a friend who is a femminist (and she likes and hates me, the latter to the root, at the same time) and she participates in uni debates, internet forums devoted to femminist issues. And I'd never said she's a wacko, maybe a little crazy, but that's not because she's a femminist. But due to medial, focused on sensation news, the image of a femminist in eyes of the most will be still "an ugly lesbian with thick-glassed spectacles and a pubescence hair under their noses".

Eh, long post, long rant with lot's of grammar errors as I may assume. As always I ask for forgiveness and thank for the patiance for those who cared to read. Wink

291What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 am

Pandora

Pandora

A simple, "They were the man-hating-type" would have sufficed.

A true feminist will never want revenge, but actuall equality, and is fully open and prepared to discuss male issues as well as female.

I think the best discussion about feminism I ever had was with my boyfriend's buddy, Jason. I said I was feminist, and he said that he hates feminists. I asked him, "Feminists? Or man-haters?" We started discussing the difference, and he asked me, "Well, if you want equality, lemme ask you, do you want a draft card?" So I said, "Psh, do YOU? Of course not. NO one wants to be drafted. And the people who do, don't need to be, because they just enlist. No, I don't want a draft card, but I happen to know that neither do you, so that has nothing to do with me being feminist, and everything to do with a person's desire to join the military, which neither of us have."

He says, "Good answer."

292What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Pietja

Well, that was an obvious error of his, most likely based on a false rumor or hurtful media exposure of the topic of femminism. In cases I heard the most piked up-theme is the theme of a miner - "You want equality? Go work for a day in a mine. I never saw women working in a mine. You wouldn't endure it" - that kind of thing. Wich is bullcrap anyway, because women, although marginal, indeed do work in mines but on a maintnance based functions and after WWII there was, at least in my country, a great need of hands to work so our grandmothers down southeast took manly duties.
And as for compulsory military service - when it was abolished in 2009 (yes, I was included, but I was hiding on different unis for a nice heap of time Very Happy) to suprise of military officials lot's of woman enlisted, same goes for police. And I can only say that the local police HQ recieved a nice dosage of fine woman. For the first time in my life I wasn't pissed when police patrol checked my i.d. Very Happy.

So, yep, you gave him a good anwser to a wrong and irrevelant question.

293What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 pm

blind_dead_mcjones

the PAL and NTSC resolution malarkey is grind my gears real bad! jesus i just want to play a freaking video in colour is that too much to ask, but of course said video HAS to to have originated from from of the the two countries left in the world who are stubborn enough to persist in using NTSC, there isn't even that much difference between the two resolutions to begin with which makes it all the more frustrating and stupid, and finding info on how to fix the issue is like pulling teeth..rgh, *leaves to go headbutt a wall*

294What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Pietja wrote:Well, that was an obvious error of his, most likely based on a false rumor or hurtful media exposure of the topic of femminism. In cases I heard the most piked up-theme is the theme of a miner - "You want equality? Go work for a day in a mine. I never saw women working in a mine. You wouldn't endure it" - that kind of thing. Wich is bullcrap anyway, because women, although marginal, indeed do work in mines but on a maintnance based functions and after WWII there was, at least in my country, a great need of hands to work so our grandmothers down southeast took manly duties.
And as for compulsory military service - when it was abolished in 2009 (yes, I was included, but I was hiding on different unis for a nice heap of time Very Happy) to suprise of military officials lot's of woman enlisted, same goes for police. And I can only say that the local police HQ recieved a nice dosage of fine woman. For the first time in my life I wasn't pissed when police patrol checked my i.d. Very Happy.

So, yep, you gave him a good anwser to a wrong and irrevelant question.

There are some women that complain about the physical endurance testing for things like police work and work as fire officers. Saying there should be different tests for men and women. HA! And they call themselves feminist. I saw a rant about that written by a woman who actually is a true feminist. She said that if you really want true equality, there should be ONE test for both genders, and both genders should be able to pass that test on their own steam. I agree with her. There's a reason for that test existing, because, regardless of gender, a fireman/woman still needs to be able to perform essential, extremely important job-duties. A burning building doesn't discriminate. Wink

The draft doesn't exist here either, but we have something called "selective services." Every male has to register for it at the age of 18...in case the draft is reinstated. Now, I think that's not fair. If you're going to do something like that, then both men and women should have to, considering women are now allowed to join the military anyway. Back when the draft was first created, it wasn't allowed. As much as I absolutely would HATE having to register, I still don't think it's fair. But, I don't particularly like the idea of my male friends and family, not to mention my boyfriend, having this kind of thing looming over them. Makes me just as uneasy. There are a lot of so-called "feminists" that would like to say that men have it totally easy and free. True, they do have it easier that women in SOME aspects, but shit like the "selective service" deal isn't all that great for them.

295What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Winds

Winds

Psst, hey guys. As much fun as the topic of feminism is, this is a place to raeg.
Please put you murder faces on and tell us what is grinding your gears.

As for me.
GEOGRAPHY! I was a damned pro at this stuff when I was in grade school! What the hell happened!

296What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Pandora

Pandora

I didn't get my internship, and all they had to say about it was this:

"Unfortunately we cannot offer you a position this summer. Sorry."

That's IT. Gee, thanks, that was really encouraging. I really love your one-sentence rejection letter. I could almost feel the icicles forming on my inbox.

Also, I saw an audition announcement for a production that said "Tattoos a plus!" It said where it was, had an e-mail contact, and that there is a stipend.

It did NOT however, say this:
"We are only looking for men in our cast."

So today, I got a very cold, one-sentece rejection letter, and denied something because of my gender. GREAT fucking day.
Not to mention, tomorrow my boyfriend is leaving for New York to go bury his grandfather. The last grandparent he had. Really great fucking weekend...

297What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 am

Winds

Winds

Unfortunately thats how businesses seem to like to do things when it comes to applying for anything.
Did they at least send the response in a timely fashion? I got one of those emails MONTHS after I applied to this place I shall not name.

And did they reject you because of your sex? Or because they were just looking for men in their cast? Yes, I agree they should have put up "all male cast" or something like that in the announcement, but its not exactly fair to say they discriminated against you because of you're a woman just because they said "We're only looking for guys, sorry."

As for today
ITS HOT! I absolutely despise temperatures over 75 degrees Fahrenheit and they said it could get into the high 80s today.
Damned desert I call home.

298What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 am

cenaris

cenaris

My being a crap editor...

I'm meant to be editing a 20 minute film I filmed a few months ago. There's five weeks left (including this one). It's gotta' be ready for May 10th.

But what grinds me about this is I am terrible at it. I only come into college for a couple of hours for each day for when I do edit. On Final Cut Pro. Professional movie standard stuff (used to edit the Lord of the Rings movies among other things). And once I do get anywhere a hitch makes me pack up and leave (usually the footage is all mixed up or lunch strikes). Also I'm on my own with this. Never do movie editing on your own. Especially if you don't know editing ass from editing hole in ground.

299What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Winds wrote:Unfortunately thats how businesses seem to like to do things when it comes to applying for anything.
Did they at least send the response in a timely fashion? I got one of those emails MONTHS after I applied to this place I shall not name.

And did they reject you because of your sex? Or because they were just looking for men in their cast? Yes, I agree they should have put up "all male cast" or something like that in the announcement, but its not exactly fair to say they discriminated against you because of you're a woman just because they said "We're only looking for guys, sorry."

If they don't want to come off that way, they should include that very important piece of information in their public audition announcement. The announcement said where it was, the performance dates, a contact e-mail address, that there was a stipend, the name of the play and the venue. THAT'S ALL. It did NOT say they only wanted men. If they don't want to disappoint possible female auditionees, they should put that in their ad. They didn't. So it was a waste of my time, and it was just another pisser on top of an already shit day. If they don't want to appear discriminatory, they should say in their ad that they are in need of men, and not just turn away the female actors that try to audition.

300What grinds your gears? - Page 12 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Pietja

Alanis Morissette wailing vocals.

UAGUAGH! I was in Empik store today (Empik is a Polish commercial chain selling books, international press and media products company that has many stores around the country) in need to buy some book to read because I've recently neglected written word a little. And, like always, some music had to be aired to break the silence. But why on earth they had to choose Alanis Morissette?! She's fukken annoying! I couldn't focus on my search for a nice book to read because that c**t was wailing so bad that I had to run from the building screaming! I swear, if I'd ever go to a war and they'd make me kill with no mercy, they'd have to give me an iPod with Morissette's, Coldplay and Snow Patrol discography (and other alternative/world music shiet) and stich the earphones to my ears. I'd go berserk and kill everyone in the area of 15km and then give a shot to my feet, my knees and if the horror wouldn't stop - my balls.

In Epmik stores the employees often choose what will be aired when there is no CD promotion. But they meant to play some tunes that a human being could do shopping to, browse their stuff and drink some tea/coffe and eat a pie (as it also has caffeteria), not stuff that makes hamsters go suicidal! That way they'll never promote reading!

Eh... and some say that a man can tolerate many hazardous enviroments and acclimate to them. Well, I can survive in reasonable high and low temperatures without grumbling, yet I can't survive Ms (Mrs?) Morissette's music.

Oh, "how fragile we are".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 29]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20 ... 29  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum