Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to

You are not connected. Please login or register

What grinds your gears?

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 29 of 29]

701 Re: What grinds your gears? on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:28 pm

harry potter and twilight are set in the modern world which by definition excludes them from the fantasy genera. at least as far as any serious genera cataloger would be concerned. people just through anything with the word magic into fantasy now a days without any thought to is it really fantasy or not. By definition fantasy is set in a mid evil era type of world with the type of societal structure including feudal lords and stuff. people who get turned away from the fantasy genera but still want to work of the popularity of the name fantasy to make some quick cash will just say that my definition only refers to a section called high fantasy thus they allow space for their CRAP to be included just because they have some elements of magic.

View user profile

702 Re: What grinds your gears? on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 am

Mmm... I'm not really sure with the definition... but at some point, it becomes arbitrary. There's no clear boundary. The correct definition, I think, should only refer to the atmosphere, not the setting: there must be a strong magic presence, there should (but only should) be a "nordic saga" plot, but imposing that the setting must be Middle Ages is like forbidding a world to evolve.

Also, an author's creativity can't be bound to definitions.
(that does not prevent crap to be written, though)

That said, I repeat that the boundary is arbitrary.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 29 of 29]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 27, 28, 29

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum