Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What grinds your gears?

+71
pablowapsi
Auroralikethesunrise
waffllecat
RennisTora
KaZe
artimies7
Nighthawke
ugilick
CrimsonZeke
Dreadstunlock
bigro
Kairu88
Mr_M
TheGreatHibiki
3D Ninja
scienceguy8
Youchip
yellowrock
Felonious Exalt
Haventownsend
Ganthan
Latrans
Xenathos
Drunkenvalley
not_cenaris
rpx
dog3oy
Blacklite
Chells
Damien Darkside
Nikolai
Triskelli
Frist
MicasR
BeDaOrLiSeAr
Paranoid
Aimereta
Clockwork
Zumbo Prime
JimmyDimples
p1x13st1ck
blind_dead_mcjones
cammyjag
Maple_Fish
stephanodude
Rad
Trevon Fox
GoldenDragon
Forthwol
Sketchtastic
5c4rl37
xombie
Concrete
mariachidevil
cenaris
Winds
Leak
Jaebird
hiddenflame
Pandora
wolfpax181
26_9
BenRG
xivk
Stormcrow-18
Lazarus Firenze
MadxHatter123
MrFreeeman
Zaran
delicious lambchops
Pietja
75 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20 ... 29  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 29]

251What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:29 am

stephanodude

stephanodude

not enough SLEEP!!!

252What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Pietja

MMORPG's.

I have three guys that I have to work with wich are real no-lifes. All they do after work is playing Aion (they've abbadnoned Lineage 2). That's fine with me, it's their lives, let them waste it however they want to.
Thing is it's their only passion, hobby etc. You can't talk with them about anything else. All they yap about is the last sage that happened on the server, new findings, refinements... GOD FU***N' CHRIST I'm going MAD around them!
They've exited about that stuff like over some orgy with supermodels, discovery of El Dorado or flight into space. Wich, at first, made them look silly. Now it's pathetic but most of all - helluva annoying.
It's funny that few years ago guys like these would be ostracized and laughed at because of their passion that is going overboard and nowdays folks like me who don't see anything special in MMO's are the looked at like they'd be some kind of unnormal freaks. Wich is another annoying thing, because when I tell 'em to shut up they give me the look and ignore my pleads.
I swear, that annother week full of their loud excitement over some fukken retarded second life of theirs will continue, I'm gonna kick their arse.

And I'm trembling already hearing about their new god and NCSoft magnum opus Blade and Soul. Wich is annother annoying thing because it's annother game with graphics by Hyung Tae Kim.
And I hate that guy style.

The only MMO I've ever got hooked longer than a month was EVE online, mostly because of the game's economics and sci-fi setting not some clones of fantasy distorted by asian minds.
Besides, MMO are driving the era of games with actual plot to an sorry end.

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

253What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:39 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Pietja wrote:MMORPG's.

I have three guys that I have to work with wich are real no-lifes. All they do after work is playing Aion (they've abbadnoned Lineage 2). That's fine with me, it's their lives, let them waste it however they want to.
Thing is it's their only passion, hobby etc. You can't talk with them about anything else. All they yap about is the last sage that happened on the server, new findings, refinements... GOD FU***N' CHRIST I'm going MAD around them!
They've exited about that stuff like over some orgy with supermodels, discovery of El Dorado or flight into space. Wich, at first, made them look silly. Now it's pathetic but most of all - helluva annoying.
It's funny that few years ago guys like these would be ostracized and laughed at because of their passion that is going overboard and nowdays folks like me who don't see anything special in MMO's are the looked at like they'd be some kind of unnormal freaks. Wich is another annoying thing, because when I tell 'em to shut up they give me the look and ignore my pleads.
I swear, that annother week full of their loud excitement over some fukken retarded second life of theirs will continue, I'm gonna kick their arse.

And I'm trembling already hearing about their new god and NCSoft magnum opus Blade and Soul. Wich is annother annoying thing because it's annother game with graphics by Hyung Tae Kim.
And I hate that guy style.

The only MMO I've ever got hooked longer than a month was EVE online, mostly because of the game's economics and sci-fi setting not some clones of fantasy distorted by asian minds.
Besides, MMO are driving the era of games with actual plot to an sorry end.

My boyfriend's younger brother is like that. Except it's Pokemon he's obsessed with. And he's 21 years old. Pokemon and video games. I don't talk to him much because that's all he wants to talk about....when he's not staring, bug-eyed, at me. It's creepy. I was sitting at the table this morning (I spent the weekend at their house) and the entire time, when he wasn't talking about games I've never played, he was staring at me. Flat out STARING.

Personally, I've never gotten into MMORPG'S either. I don't see a point. There's no plot and virtually no actual end. Quest, quest, fight, new quest, fight again, etc. etc. it just goes on and on and the next thing you know, 8 hours have gone by. Waste of time, waste of just about everything. However, there is one comfort, no matter how much time you waste, there's always going to be someone on there that has even less of a life than you.

254What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:28 am

Pietja

Funny thing is that games like these somethimes have a wise, interesting, live and elastic economy. Wich I often tell them. From time to time, when I feel like I'm lacking money for pleasures & misc. stuff I invest some of my "second-account money" in stock. I play relatively safe (wich is nowdays harder as stock speculants are literally eating little, cheap and back in a day - very prosperous and profitable - companies) so in a month-two I have some more greens on my "first-account" and put the rest on "third-account" (wich is annuity deposit).
And when I listen to those guys they often speculate and manipulate prices of fictional items or services. I told them many times to invest some cash in real deal but they're too afraid and look at the stock exchange market like it is some kind of devil incarnated. And yet they feel jealous about me having extra cash. That's pissing me off.
They have the potential but real world scares them.
Add to that the fact, that one of them has wife that is also playing the same game as he and even more than him - she's on maternity leave. So basicly, she feeds the little one (baby boy), change him diapers, hush him to sleep while having the game 24 on the screen.

Eh, interesting times we have Very Happy.

255What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:17 am

cenaris

cenaris

Urghh, I hate MMORPGS with a passion. If someone's going to waste their life on a video game, why not one with a big boss followed by a end credits sequence, not the endless cycle of quest, get treasure and quest bolstered down by paying monthly to do it. You have something to work towards with something that ends. When it's something that makes you play all the time, you've got to take a backstep and realise what it's done to you.

At least Pokemon has something to work towards: The elite 4. you beat them. End credits come up. Job well done.

256What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:52 am

Pietja

They're not paying. Free pirate servers. They don't do quests unless they want to. They learn game mechanics to the points of pain and aim to be the best and most powerfull clan on the server.
They are in top 10 but...
... what's the point?

But on the bright side, listening to their quarrels about game like it would be a real deal is amusing. Honestly, sometimes they can be really angry about clanmember that wasn't online when they agreed to be. That means - clanmaster and his two pawns (my friends) ordered them too. They talk how imporant it is to build a powerfull and respected clan but when I ask what's the point they reply - because it's fun.
Maybe it is, but so does bungee jumping. I like long games that can suck you in for months (like Fallout 2) but not for peroid of two years and over.
Then what? New MMO comes out and they'll switch abaddoning their old chars because there is no one that would like to play the old game.

I don't hate MMO's, like I said Eve online was fun and I have good memories about my first 9dragons game. I've met people but they had other passions that just an online game.
Now my colleagues doesn't. And that's kind of scary.

257What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Pietja wrote:Funny thing is that games like these somethimes have a wise, interesting, live and elastic economy. Wich I often tell them. From time to time, when I feel like I'm lacking money for pleasures & misc. stuff I invest some of my "second-account money" in stock. I play relatively safe (wich is nowdays harder as stock speculants are literally eating little, cheap and back in a day - very prosperous and profitable - companies) so in a month-two I have some more greens on my "first-account" and put the rest on "third-account" (wich is annuity deposit).
And when I listen to those guys they often speculate and manipulate prices of fictional items or services. I told them many times to invest some cash in real deal but they're too afraid and look at the stock exchange market like it is some kind of devil incarnated. And yet they feel jealous about me having extra cash. That's pissing me off.
They have the potential but real world scares them.
Add to that the fact, that one of them has wife that is also playing the same game as he and even more than him - she's on maternity leave. So basicly, she feeds the little one (baby boy), change him diapers, hush him to sleep while having the game 24 on the screen.

Eh, interesting times we have Very Happy.

The real world scares them because they don't get to be big muscualar elves with Hellhounds for pets and huge battle axes on their backs.

258What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Zaran

Zaran

I wonder what's going to happen once holographic technology comes out and becomes a normal civilian entertainment medium.Question

http://zaranr.deviantart.com

259What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Zaran wrote:I wonder what's going to happen once holographic technology comes out and becomes a normal civilian entertainment medium.Question

They still won't be big muscular elves with hellhounds for pets and huge battle axes. XD

260What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Pietja

They will because people eventually won't go outside the online realm. Or will go just to work that will be more unreal than their avatar lives.

261What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Pietja wrote:They will because people eventually won't go outside the online realm. Or will go just to work that will be more unreal than their avatar lives.

They still won't be, because it would still just be a hologram. Their real selves would be fat blobs with no real motivation and a serious inability to accept reality.

262What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:10 am

Pietja

Reality is a question of one's mentality, our projection of the world around, so if the world that we'll be spending most time in would be virtual, then that'd be our reality, thus - anyone could be handsome, muscular elf with two meters high axe and belive it so.
Psyhology will have lot's of fun with brave new world Very Happy.

Edit note - I've came back from work and these guys switched from Aion to some new MMO because Aion was boring them. When I suggested them to play something in single player they looked at me like at some kind of looney. Openworld, MMO freaks...

Then again - who am I to judge? I'm currently playing old Amiga games and C64 games that I've played as a kid Very Happy.

263What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:17 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Pietja wrote:Reality is a question of one's mentality, our projection of the world around, so if the world that we'll be spending most time in would be virtual, then that'd be our reality, thus - anyone could be handsome, muscular elf with two meters high axe and belive it so.
Psyhology will have lot's of fun with brave new world Very Happy.

Edit note - I've came back from work and these guys switched from Aion to some new MMO because Aion was boring them. When I suggested them to play something in single player they looked at me like at some kind of looney. Openworld, MMO freaks...

Then again - who am I to judge? I'm currently playing old Amiga games and C64 games that I've played as a kid Very Happy.

It's still virtual reality. They weren't born muscular elves, they were born humans. Plain old humans. Without that virtual reality projecting out onto everyone else, they are STILL just human. Once you turn that hologram off, what are you left with?

Fat blobs who can't accept that they weren't born elves.

264What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Pietja

Pandora wrote:Once you turn that hologram off, what are you left with?

Well, that's how it's like nowdays, but in my recent posts I've started wondering about hypothetical situation that is - more or less visibly - on the horizon. Kind of a Matrix-like scenario where people would still be people but most of their lives will happen in online world. If you'd be spending your life in a virtual reality that gives you pleasure and, like it's happening even now, gives you money along with friends from other part of the globe would you call yourself Karen or Pandora (taking that would be your avatar name). Most of your time, most of your *life*.

Yes, you'd still be born Karen Enteryoursurnamehere from some city in some state of USA but most of the time you'd be Pandora from City of X on X server (I'm waiting till servers would be actually called realms or something world-widely).

For a schizophremic with advanced diesease his voices, mirages etc. are part of his reality because he sees them, he feels them, he hears them. Games advance in terms of graphics and interactivity. It's almost a fact that we'd be able to feel ingame objects soon - first with our fingertips, then with our whole body. There was already a machine that produced aromas of flowers when pictures of them appeared.

Reality is different for everyone. For you I'm forum user nicknamed Pietja from Poland, a person that contributes to the forum in art section with his art, writes only about his sexual adventures and other stuff from his personal life. That is my projection of myself to your - and this forum users - reality. It's virtual, that's for sure. But is it real? Does it matter to me or to any of those MMO's guys? I could be lying, they could be lying being in their online shells, question is - if everyone would be hooked up to the game, who'd care what is real?

Personally, I find it fascinating, the phenomenom of creating reality. Look how ambiguous this word is. It's meaning is relative, thus all things around us - shapes, figures, ideas, morales - are relative. There is no arche in the world we know. The creation of various realities is insanely fascinating. Not so long ago I attended a lecture about internet social groups focused on internet games from Counter-Strike to World Of Warcraft. CS Teams and WoW Guilds. Thousands of them with varied strenght of social attachments. Highly interesting topic and that's why I like to listen my colleagues talking about their MMO friend circles. I have a topic of conversation on our uni sociology excercises.
Still, I'm more interested about the philosophical and psyhological aspect of it. I dropped the idea about projecting realities online in my philosophy class. It was an interesting discussion, mostly because I asked about how many of you lie and how many of you lie online. Conclusions were more than interesting. After a long session we discovered (I can't say it suprised me) that we lie almost in the same ammount on the net and in real life BUT our lies are on the net are more deliberate while those written/told in real life (I should put it in quotation marks) are more spontaneous, subconscious - almost like they were unconditional reflexes.
But, enough of that, my post is already too long.
As I tend to apologize for grammar and vocabulary errors in longer and more detailed posts, I'm saying sorry for all the grammar nazis & vocabulary vultures out there about engrish.
And for a long boring posts about things that are not being about my erotic life, as I know some of you folks out there simply looove these confessions. Wink

Can somebody spell "sarcasm" for me?

265What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Pandora

Pandora

Pandora is a nickname of mine in real life dude. Y'know...off the internet. My teachers and friends actually call me that. Neutral

Even in the Matrix, when Neo was "awakened" they unplugged him and everything that had happened to him up to that point wasn't real. Morpheus even referred to the real world desert as "The Desert of the Real." So even if most of his life did take place in a virtual world...it still wasn't real. It still wasn't reality. The reality was that he was a worm baby grown in a tube. His eyes hurt when he opened them in the real world because they had never actually been used before. He needed to have his muscles stimulated through a bunch of needles because they had withered in the tube from lack of actual use.

No matter what was going on in the Matrix, his actual, physical body was elsewhere.

266What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:28 am

Pietja

But you actually use your nickname on the internet, erm, dudette. Friends refer to me as Pietja also. I don't allow others to do so.

You've missed my point - I was talking about the fact that we can't say what is real and what is not in 100%. My view on what's real is mine and differ from yours or my fathers. If a game is an important part of life it is one's reality. We consist of body and mind wich is our projector and receptor. There is, of course, natural reality of anything that suround us but each one of us records it differently. One can be amazed seeing a picturesque sunset while other won't. So yes, our bodies are part of natural reality but to some extent they can be shaped by our minds or mostly like - biased by it. And that biased view would still be part of one's reality.

Back to the topic - end of the tax year is comming up and my boss is having his usual panic attacks Very Happy. He looks and acts riddiculous, funny, grotesque, still it affects the mood in the company. So today everyone was walking with a dark cloud over their heads and was a part of the screaming chain. Even I wanted to grab someone and smash this person onto the wall.

267What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 am

Zaran

Zaran

All that stuff you guys talked about sounds like the movie Surrogates, where people live their lives through machines that are the embodiment of their ideal identity. Perfect looks, superhuman strength and endurance, no pain, and no danger. Just a thought...

Geargrinder of the day, I forgot where I put one of my crutches...

http://zaranr.deviantart.com

268What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 am

Pandora

Pandora

Okay, okay. Back on topic.

Grinding my gears...is seeing my boyfriend upset. He's been extremely busy lately and some douche bag decided to make it worse the other day.

We were heading in the driveway of a parking lot, and some jerk in a puke-green car comes whizzing up the opposite direction, dead in the middle of the driveway, ignoring the stop-sign he had on his side, and my boyfriend and he nearly crash into each other. My boyfriend hit the brakes and they did NOT crash, and he profusely said "SORRY" out his window. The guy still felt the need to not only lean out his window, yell, "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" and then (obviously not being the sharpest pin in the cushion) stops in the middle of traffic on the street to check his car. I reiterate that they did NOT hit each other, so there was no need for him to do that.

But it didn't end there.

After we parked, I noticed that the douchebag decided to come back and start circling us. He went by about three times. The third time he passed, he drove VERY close to my boyfriend's car and slowed down, watching us. I gave him the fucking stink eye. My boyfriend decided to re-park his car closer to the restaraunt we were going to, so he could see it through the window in case the guy decided to do anything to it. We knew he came back looking for trouble, considering he was leaving the parking lot when we were arriving. He didn't park anywhere, nor did he go into any of the stores, so we could tell he was back to try and harass us.

Jerk.

Then yesterday, my boyfriend was pulling through a 4-way stop, and some guy yells at him, "What the hell are you doing?! This is a straightway!"

Um...last time I checked, a 4-way isn't a straightway...it's a 4-way.

269What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:23 pm

p1x13st1ck

p1x13st1ck

People NOT doing their job... and me picking up the slack for it - I can be such a pushover sometimes... ho hum

270What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:08 am

Pietja

p1x13st1ck wrote:People NOT doing their job...

I know you pain.
I had to check one of the external groups that worked for my company. See if they've done their work and if they've done it properly.
They did neither.
They've done about 60% of the work they shoud have done in one day and they've done it in "fu**-off" manner.
I took a deep breath (I'm agressive lately and almost always when it comes to that kind of foul-play), asked if something happened that would slow them down, I tried to understand.
And those fu**s stood there with their eyes locked on the ground with red faces. Faint smell of alcohol in the air.
As an external groups they had the right to even get stoned because my company would not get any trouble because of it (although our rep could be somehow crippled) so I wouldn't be mad.
If they would finish their work AND if the deadline wasn't set on that faithfull day (wich would hit our company bad, thus - me as a person pointed by the boss as the responsible for their progess - in last minute).
What I've done? I've done what I had to - I've sent those who were drunk home, grabbed a drill, angle grinder, gypsum, screwdriver and other necessary stuff and with those who were sober I've forced them to work. To work hard.
I've came back home on 20:30 in the evening tired as a mule because of incopentence of some people.

271What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:14 am

blind_dead_mcjones

the fact that Michael atkinson got relected AGAIN, if he gets named attorney general again there goes any chance of getting the R rating for video games in australia for another 4 years

EDIT: i spoke too soon, he's resigned his role as attorney general, so its not really grinding my gears anymore

272What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:23 am

JimmyDimples

JimmyDimples

Twerps in my class that try to feed other students the wrong answers so that they'll look dumb. Gah. Mad

http://jimmydimples.deviantart.com

273What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Zumbo Prime

Zumbo Prime

Some older guy in my college classes. He has to put his eight cents(not two) in about everything, regardless of how relevant or important it is.

274What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:51 am

Clockwork

Wanna know what grinds my gears? Exams.

275What grinds your gears? - Page 11 Empty Re: What grinds your gears? Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:19 am

Zumbo Prime

Zumbo Prime

Clockwork wrote:Wanna know what grinds my gears? Exams.
These too. They're less a test of what you know, rather than a snapshot of what you remember at that exact point in time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 29]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20 ... 29  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum