Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ask Jolly Jack!

+53
tumbleingc
Solaar
Kolemegil
Bilbot
Raptor jesus
Gernsback
boB2
The Mighty Monkey
VM893
alanmalbos
Zidneya
Ganthan
4tem
waffllecat
Spoonfairy
raleurc
willdye
Cayenne
Plotting
FordBraggs
videoismylife
undeamed
Kaeto
Chorizowagon
RennisTora
CyberCorn Entropic
Xan
Hells-Reaver
Bunyip
indrejue
Auroralikethesunrise
Riikano-Alinaris
Qreator
MyExodus
scienceguy8
Agent
Nikolai
Jadeor
Darth Bothersome
the good samaritan
Leak
26_9
WreckedRegent7
Sylentknight
Frist
not_cenaris
Youchip
KaZe
jollyjack
cenaris
zombiepancakes
Dreadstunlock
ugilick
57 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 am

zombiepancakes

zombiepancakes

Do you think you will make another character page with descriptions and various information on them like on the last site?

52Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:20 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

zombiepancakes wrote:Do you think you will make another character page with descriptions and various information on them like on the last site?

I'm thinking that I may have to, now that there have been so many arcs and new characters.

https://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

53Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:29 am

zombiepancakes

zombiepancakes

Another question for you, Mr. Jackson. Will you ever make a SH*THOUSE book? Or maybe bring SH*THOUSE to this site? All of those old strips were just so funny

54Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:07 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

zombiepancakes wrote:Another question for you, Mr. Jackson. Will you ever make a SH*THOUSE book? Or maybe bring SH*THOUSE to this site? All of those old strips were just so funny

Yes, but I plan on tying it in with Spider & Scorpion to make one, big, bumper book of WTF?!

55Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:16 pm

MyExodus

MyExodus

Here's a question or three for the big man, JJ...
1. Do you immediately sketch out ideas for SA and such when they come to you?
2. I'm dying to see Kat and Art actually TOGETHER... Have you decided whether or not that will happen? If so...please don't say yet, I want to see it in the comic XD
3. What advice do you have to give to someone wanting to pursue a career in video game design, animation, or similar fields?

56Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:37 pm

zombiepancakes

zombiepancakes

Sorry I've been asking so many questions lately. But do you think, for a new artist like me, if it's better for when first developing a character to start on a large scale to work out details and then go small or to start with small sketches and then go large? What do you do when developing a character or what did you do when you were just starting to develop characters like art and kat?

57Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 pm

MyExodus

MyExodus

zombiepancakes wrote:Sorry I've been asking so many questions lately. But do you think, for a new artist like me, if it's better for when first developing a character to start on a large scale to work out details and then go small or to start with small sketches and then go large? What do you do when developing a character or what did you do when you were just starting to develop characters like art and kat?

I don't know about JJ, but from personal experience, just try to get a rough idea down, then keep adding to it, or taking away from it, until you are satisfied with it. I also really want to see JJ's reply to this one though too o.o

58Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:43 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

MyExodus wrote:
1. Do you immediately sketch out ideas for SA and such when they come to you?
2. I'm dying to see Kat and Art actually TOGETHER... Have you decided whether or not that will happen? If so...please don't say yet, I want to see it in the comic XD
3. What advice do you have to give to someone wanting to pursue a career in video game design, animation, or similar fields?

1. I write the scripts before I start drawing anything. Sometimes a script will be sitting in my notebook for YEARS before I use it, other times I come up with a script a few MINUTES before I put it into the strip.

2. There's something between Art and Kat? I don't see it.

3. Learn all you can about the industry you want to go into as a whole, not just the job you want to apply for.

zombiepancakes wrote:Sorry I've been asking so many questions lately. But do you think, for a new artist like me, if it's better for when first developing a character to start on a large scale to work out details and then go small or to start with small sketches and then go large? What do you do when developing a character or what did you do when you were just starting to develop characters like art and kat?

The character-development stage is the fun bit, so; there are no rules.
When I'm working up a new character design, I have a stack of paper on which I draw a whole range of sketches that vary in size and detail. Some are little thumbnails that focus on a face, others are full pages of a potentially complete design.

59Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:39 am

MyExodus

MyExodus

jollyjack wrote:

2. There's something between Art and Kat? I don't see it.

Oh, JJ, how you love to mess with your fans XDD

60Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 pm

zombiepancakes

zombiepancakes

This question is more for just anybody who knows... How old is sequential art? I looked at the oldest posts on the forum that go back to 2009 but they are about Scarlets power suit.... I would guess it started early 2007 or maybe earlier. An answer accurate within a month of when it came out would be appreciated, if someone could get the day, that would be great Very Happy

61Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:47 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

zombiepancakes wrote:This question is more for just anybody who knows... How old is sequential art? I looked at the oldest posts on the forum that go back to 2009 but they are about Scarlets power suit.... I would guess it started early 2007 or maybe earlier. An answer accurate within a month of when it came out would be appreciated, if someone could get the day, that would be great Very Happy

The first SA strip was finished on 10th June, 2005.

62Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat May 19, 2012 9:23 pm

rpx

Questions for Jolly Jack

1)Have you seen the Crank movies With Jason Statham?

2)What are your plans to get Moggy to ease off the raging fan-girl accelerator?

3)Now that you have finished the Latest Little Victory. Are there plans to give Sky or Jo a little more attention?

4)Witch one of your Original Characters would you like to see drawn by Fred GD Perry and doing what?

63Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat May 19, 2012 11:56 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

rpx wrote:1)Have you seen the Crank movies With Jason Statham?

2)What are your plans to get Moggy to ease off the raging fan-girl accelerator?

3)Now that you have finished the Latest Little Victory. Are there plans to give Sky or Jo a little more attention?

4)Witch one of your Original Characters would you like to see drawn by Fred GD Perry and doing what?

1. I kinda half-watched the firt one while it was on TV.....would've actually made a good comic-book mini series.

2. She's harmless......as long as she doesn't either A) start mailing me "stuff" or B) purchases a plane ticket.

3. No. Alaska Rhodes gets the attention for a couple of weeks and then it's back to Vicky.

4. Well, as I'm working on the next part of Bad Nero; it'd have to be Alaska, perched on some rubble (no doubt; of her making).

64Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon May 21, 2012 7:00 pm

rpx

1)How long have Sky and Chloe been friends?

2)Why did you make Vicky so barbarically cute?

3)Would you consider it a mark of success to have a Japanese Fan Girl?

65Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon May 21, 2012 11:42 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

rpx wrote:1)How long have Sky and Chloe been friends?

1) I wouldn't call them "friends" Very Happy

2) Because.

3) I guess Very Happy

66Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue May 22, 2012 1:55 am

rpx

jollyjack wrote:

1)What would you call their relationship then?

2)Who is the most complex character you have made?

3) Did Wanda K retire or did she just become so powerful she doesn't need to do anything?

4)What is your favorite form of Mythology?

5) And why does Russia today and the BBC report the news better than American News stations?

67Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue May 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Frist

Frist

Is there anything you would like us to know about you that we probably wouldn't already before we met you in person?

For future reference.

68Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 pm

KaZe

KaZe

Have you tried Diablo 3 yet?

69Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:59 pm

26_9

Is it hard for you to be a "solo endeavour"?

70Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Questions Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Qreator

Hello Jolly,
I have an account on DA as Forlocks, you may have seen me a few times. I’ve been itching to ask you some questions and I’ve finally given in.
1. When you lay out you’re books for distribution on Lulu, do you use Indesign, some other program, or do they handle that for you?
2. Do you primarily support yourself off of booksales/commissions? I too am trying to go into business as a self employed illustrator and from where I sit you seem to have a good handle on your business.
3. When making your comics, do you draw them onto a 11x17 size page at 200 dpi? If not, how do you generally lay out the “pages” you draw?
Thank you, Jolly.

Also, if you have answered these before, I apologize, I could only read so many ASK JOLLYJACK pages before my eyes started to bleed.

71Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:30 pm

cenaris

cenaris

So if Chloe was born in a european mountain retreat, does that mean she's European? What accent does she have? Is her outlook on life more european or British?

72Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:55 am

rpx

1)Has Vicky ever been a victim to her own cuteness?

2)Are Hilay and Kat some kind of yin and yang to each other?

3)When will Little victory 4 be available?

4)Have you watched Queens Blade Rebellion?

73Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 pm

scienceguy8

scienceguy8

You are well-known in various Internet art circles for being able to draw both serious, "art" art, and art of a more fetishistic nature. Has this ever hampered your ability to get a job? (We can't hire an illustrator whose name is tied to this sort of thing!") In regards to your raunchy drawings, is there any subject you outright refuse to draw?

http://www.gilberti-industries.com/

74Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:25 am

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

rpx wrote:
jollyjack wrote:

1)What would you call their relationship then?

2)Who is the most complex character you have made?

3) Did Wanda K retire or did she just become so powerful she doesn't need to do anything?

4)What is your favorite form of Mythology?

5) And why does Russia today and the BBC report the news better than American News stations?

1 - It's a business relationship, in theory. Sky seeks funding from Sinclaire Global...... Chloe messes around.

2 - Some of my villains are pretty complex in regards to their motives. Most of them, though, are still in work-in-progress projects which you won't have read yet!

3 - Wanda K's story is actually set in the early 90s, so by now she's either the kingpin of all, or dead.

4 - I don't have a fave.

5 - As far as I'm aware (feel free to correct me); most US TV Stations fund themselves by way of advertising. You get advertising via ratings and so; must keep those up by maintaining viewers. As a result, US News networks are more interested in ENTERTAINING viewers with built-up, easy-to-explain drama than reporting things accurately.

KaZe wrote:Have you tried Diablo 3 yet?

I only just picked up Diablo 2

26_994 wrote:...

Is it hard for you to be a "solo endeavour"?

If you want something done right; do it yourself.

Qreator wrote:
1. When you lay out you’re books for distribution on Lulu, do you use Indesign, some other program, or do they handle that for you?
2. Do you primarily support yourself off of booksales/commissions? I too am trying to go into business as a self employed illustrator and from where I sit you seem to have a good handle on your business.
3. When making your comics, do you draw them onto a 11x17 size page at 200 dpi? If not, how do you generally lay out the “pages” you draw?

1 - I prep everything in potoshop and simply upload the files to Lulu's database one at a time.

2 - Yes. But it takes time to build up an audience before you can do that.

3 - I work at 300dpi - the minimum required for hardcopy printing. I tie page-layout in with the initial sketchwork. From there it progresses straight to finished linework.

cenaris wrote:So if Chloe was born in a european mountain retreat, does that mean she's European? What accent does she have? Is her outlook on life more european or British?

She'll have adopted the nationality of one of her parents.
Her accent is most likely "Atlantic" given her jet-setting life.
I don't think her outlook on life is "British". She's not cynical enough.

rpx wrote:1)Has Vicky ever been a victim to her own cuteness?

2)Are Hilay and Kat some kind of yin and yang to each other?

3)When will Little victory 4 be available?

4)Have you watched Queens Blade Rebellion?

1 - I think she's oblivious to it.

2 - I don't think so.

3 - I hope to have it finished and available before the end of the year.

4 - Not sure I want to spend more of my time watching QB.....

75Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 3 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:01 am

KaZe

KaZe

JollyJack wrote:I only just picked up Diablo 2

You really need to upgrade your computer eh? Wink

JollyJack wrote: 5 - As far as I'm aware (feel free to correct me); most US TV Stations fund themselves by way of advertising. You get advertising via ratings and so; must keep those up by maintaining viewers. As a result, US News networks are more interested in ENTERTAINING viewers with built-up, easy-to-explain drama than reporting things accurately.

Without getting this thread too far afield, I'd say you're partly right. I'd say another BIG consideration is the fact that the few major news agencies left in the US are owned by corporations that have major ties to OTHER interests such as Defence contracts and pharmaceuticals to name a few. A good example of how this plays out is the media being a blatent mouth-piece for the Pentagon/White House during the lead up to the Iraq war. When NBC's parent-company GE makes a lot of money selling weapon-systems to the US Govt you can bet they're not interested in asking TOO many questions. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum