Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled

+21
Xenathos
CrazyPurpleBat
swordfish
Smelge
Haventownsend
Leak
Frist
not_cenaris
BeDaOrLiSeAr
Retsof
AngelSineWings
MicasR
Moonman
26_9
Triskelli
Nikolai
stephanodude
Lazarus Firenze
Sketchtastic
cenaris
Pietja
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 11]

101Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Pietja

Before I finished the fifth strip I had to take a break, because I felt sleepy. And I'll say only this - no more sleeping during daytime. I had a dream where I was chased by a this(can be NSFW) jolly creature. I called her Miss Chomp-Chomp, because she did exactly what her name states on my... well...

Let's say it was godddamn scary, what happened before I woke up in shock squealing in fear like a little girl. I had to check if she really hasn't chomped them off!

The image, of course, won't describe the abomination I saw, but it was something in that design.

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

102Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Pietja

Ok., I've taken a break for making sixth strip. Sketching phaze is done, but there's still few phazes left.

So, I thought I'll do a GIMP tutorial to show how I make those strips.
Or rather - a single frames from it.

GIMP Tutorial of Pietja The Unskilled

- Phaze One -

- Sketching Phaze -

Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 0am
click for bigger

I start with white layer without alpha channel.
I usually don't go over 5000px high or wide, mostly because of my laptop specs. I don't use paintbrush, I use caligraphy tool for most of the lines - both on sketch layer and on lineart layer.
For phaze one, sketching that is, I use sizes from three to eight.
I start with the characters, then I doodle with a background. For straight background lines I use pen tool.
For those who want to see how messy my sketch looks, here's a full-sized one :
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img261/2387/0ab.jpg - 1694x1420px as it's only a single frame from the strip.
I can add that for me the sketch layer is the most time-consuming thing when making a drawing. Mostly because of my indecisivness. Very Happy

BTW - the one who'll guess who is the guy on the poster and who is the guy on the desk can pat himself on the shoulder. Wink

- Phaze Two -

- Lineart Phaze -

Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 0bm
click for bigger

I make two layers. One white, one transparent.
White one titled bkg goes under the sketch I've done while transparent one titled line goes above the sketch. I also set sketch layer mode to multiply and set it's trasparency between 25-50, depending on how strong my lines were on this layer.
I use mostly size 5 caligraphy tool for lineart, because the maximum pressure point of that size is perfect for outlines of the characters and the lighter ones are great for details (eyes, noses, clothing folds, etc).
Sometimes I skip to size eight or three, depending on how strong I want the lines to be.
I try to make everything seamless. It'll help while in coloring phaze.
This is, in my opinion, the most pleasant phaze, because it requires focus of a small child that is building a tower of cards. Although here, you don't have to start from beggining when you screw up, because Control + Z is your great friend. ;D

- Phaze Three -

- Coloring Phaze -

Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 0cm
click for bigger

For starters, I resize the lineart. I make it a little smaller, to make coloring and shading process faster.
Now, mostly I use these transparent layers, lined from below to the top :

- back - a background layer filled with only one color.
- backdet_B and backdet_A - a layers with colored details of the room/enviroment, like desks, trees, etc. Quite obviously the layer A is above B. I also merge these two when they're finished.
- fur_B and fur_A - or skin, if I'm drawing a human. The fur_A is above B and it contains the lesser details of the fur, like the white stripes for skunk or white fur for the fox.
- clothes - self-explanatory.
- hair - also self-explanatory.
- details - details like whites of the eyes, irises, teeth, tounge, nose, details of the clothes ( belt buckles or various patterns).

As I wrote before, seamless lineart is helpful in this phaze, because it makes it faster to finish.
I color by using fuzzy select tool, wich is next to the lasso tool on the toolbar. I click on the area I want to color and when it's selected I resize the selected are by one (or two at bigger images) with resize tool from selection bar. I use biggest sized paintbrush to color the area.
If the part of the lineart isn't seamless, I use lasso tool to select that area and then color it.
After everything is finished, I magnify the picture to find small areas that weren't selected automaticly by fuzzy select tool or the lasso tool and color them with small sized paintbrush or caligraphy tool.
This is, for me at least, the second (after the sketch) most time consuming part of work.

- Phaze Four -

- Shading Phaze -

Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 0dm
click for bigger

For this phaze I usually make two transparent layers with mode set as multiply and sometimes with one set as divide (as I'm not sure if I used proper name, it's right below multiply mode) :

- shade_bkg - a layer used for doing shades on the background layers, thus it goes above back, backdet_A&B layers, but not above fur layers.
- shade_det - it goes below the linear layer and above the details layer. Used for shading the characters and the shades they cast.
- light - an additional layer for any sources of light. It's situated above the shade_det layer and set to divide mode.

I use only shades of gray, the whiter the shade, the lighter the shadow.
I use paint tool, sometimes caligraphy tool and rubber to clear the shadows that are going out of the line.

Of course, in the full strip there are more layers, f.ex. the frames layer, bubbles layer and of course dialog layers. But that - maybe annother time.

So, that's about all I do to make single frame. Nice bunch of layers, isn't it?

Hope it helps someone and please forgive me any possible grammar errors I've commited. I'm a arrogant european after all. Very Happy

For any further questions or help, use Private Messaging.

Last edited by Pietja on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

103Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:31 pm

MicasR

MicasR

Excellent dude, excellent. That tutorial is most diffidently book marked. Also, like your new Avatar Wink

104Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Frist

Frist

Awesome, dude! That tutorial really helps :0!

105Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Pietja

Sixth one - click for full on my DA account.

Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Startinganews

Three pannels this time.

(g-dammit, I screwed up with skunkette's face on the third pannel Mad)

106Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Frist

Frist

Pietja wrote:Sixth one - click for full on my DA account.

Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Startinganews

Three pannels this time.

(g-dammit, I screwed up with skunkette's face on the third pannel :x)

Interesting you say that; in alot of cases, the audience can't see screw-ups as well as the artist his/herself can.

107Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:12 pm

Pietja

I'm just not satisfied with that face 'o' hers. Oh, well.

108Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Frist

Frist

Looks alright. If you had to guess, how long did that one take you?

Also, did her chest size suddenly increase in the 3rd panel there Razz?

109Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Pietja

Frist wrote:Looks alright. If you had to guess, how long did that one take you?

Also, did her chest size suddenly increase in the 3rd panel there Razz?

That strip? Too long...

I doodled around with it for about eight hours, but take a note that during that time I've checked mail, wrote with my friends on messenger, I've checked news - as it's presidential election time in Poland, I went to store, I've cooked a dinner, took out the trash... so in reality I can't really say how long I did that one. Very Happy

And yep, I her boobs are bigger, especially on 3rd pannel.

But there is a logical explenation - and I'll give it with the next strip.

Wich may not come so quickly, as I'll try to follow the rule I've forced upon myself - three strips, one picture. This time it'll be either fox Mom or Skunkette.

110Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Frist

Frist

Sweet! Sounds good. Can't wait to see it :3!

111Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

Pietja wrote:I'm just not satisfied with that face 'o' hers. Oh, well.

looks "O.K" to me. Love this comic. wish I had the attention-span to do so.

http://nikolai-bartolf.deviantart.com/

112Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:03 am

Pietja

Nikolai wrote:wish I had the attention-span to do so.

Well, as I said, I also don't have the proper ammount of it, so that's why it takes my so long to finish a strip that most of normal people will read in 15 to 30 seconds. But - also like I wrote before - I've forced myself to finish that shiet and continue with the story, because otherwise I would leave it after strip one.
Sometimes you just need to clench your buttocks, bend down and do the work. Twisted Evil

113Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:04 am

MicasR

MicasR

But it is so difficult! There are so many other things that distract me, like the world cup or cookies
<----- or this.

Anyway, good strip. Wish I could draw hands Mad

114Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:09 am

cenaris

cenaris

For what it's worth, you didn't mess her face up.
Anyway, Pietja demonstrates his patented "Skunkette jiggle physics" engine Very Happy

115Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:58 am

Pietja

cenaris wrote:For what it's worth, you didn't mess her face up.
Anyway, Pietja demonstrates his patented "Skunkette jiggle physics" engine Very Happy

S.J.P.™️
way better than Havok Physics Engine.

116Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:20 am

MicasR

MicasR

I'm guessing these strips are just 'practice' strips right? To see how viable a future Pietja web-comic would be?

117Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:20 am

Pietja

Look how first Penny Arcade strips looked and how the new one look. But the oldies are still there even though the artwork is... discusional. Same goes with SA, altough there was quality in them from the start. I'm gonna drag this horse as long as I'll have ideas. And I'm gonna try to improve the artwork with time. As most people do.

118Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:34 am

Frist

Frist

That's what I love about webcomics, watching the art evolve.

119Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Pietja

As I wrote before, three strips, one picture.

So here's the second picture related to my comic :

Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Shotwebcomicss
(click for bigger)

120Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:43 pm

BeDaOrLiSeAr

BeDaOrLiSeAr

Great job, very funny (or at least to me Smile )

121Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:56 pm

MicasR

MicasR

If only I could draw hands as good as you could, then y life would be semi-complete.

Actually it would just tick of one of the many many empty boxes. But that's still progress!!!

122Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Frist

Frist

I likett!

123Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:32 pm

BeDaOrLiSeAr

BeDaOrLiSeAr

Teach me to draw hands! Twisted Evil

124Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Leak

Leak

I wonder why I was suddenly reminded of this? Very Happy

np: Pan Sonic - Voltos Bolt (Gravitoni)

125Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled - Page 5 Empty Re: Drawings of Pietja The Unskilled Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

(To Leak's post)

i dont understand why people always assume that if you become part spider, you get 3 pairs of arms... whos to say it wont be 3 pairs of legs? or 2 pairs of arms and 2 pairs of legs? just a random question. Not directed to Leak... just to everyone.

http://nikolai-bartolf.deviantart.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum