Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ask Jolly Jack!

+106
ugilick
Moonman
Winds
campfire
tomllama2
Dreadstunlock
bigro
Kairu88
Agent
The Doctor
Teh Clok
The Mighty Monkey
TheGreatHibiki
LovelyDays
Whisper
KaZe
Liam
yellowrock
Grandia
randomname
Felonious Exalt
Xan
patanu102
Haventownsend
Vordreller
scienceguy8
DarkKlade
bylmdav
sneakerfox
Mr.Green
Youchip
zombiepancakes
swordfish
tigerfan51087
Howdy Rowdy
Drunkenvalley
User Name
randomnameMKIII
willdye
SourKraut
Inakan
Blacklite
Silverslate
Damien Darkside
Rat King
firebolt85
MicasR
SCKnight14
Ciaran Nihill
Sylentknight
BeDaOrLiSeAr
Pandora
billy-bob
Clockwork
Smelge
Triskelli
Zumbo Prime
Haskins
not_cenaris
Toshiro
CoreyBlueExclusive
Ganthan
Nikolai
Frist
Theo
Dutch
Dude523
Maple_Fish
stephanodude
Rad
Pietja
rpx
Tom
Trevon Fox
Mutant for Hire
wolfman-al
Kaboom
Painted
crazyjc15
xivk
CyberCorn Entropic
Paranoid
Leak
Sketchtastic
hanyou
hiddenflame
GotV
cenaris
Vorthon
Xenathos
5c4rl37
uziel
wolfpax181
jimis
26_9
McClaw
NINJA!
AnthroFan
Lazarus Firenze
MadxHatter123
Zaran
malinborn
Charlie Foxtrot
LT.Raynor
jollyjack
electricv01
110 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 40]

426Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:12 pm

cenaris

cenaris

jollyjack wrote:
Dream commissions would be:
Vicky by J Scott Campbell
Agent Nayler by Adam Hughes

*looks them up*
Campbell drew the Gen13 stuff didn't he? Because he drew the Caitlain Fairchild character who has hair like Vicky.

And Adam Hughs? Naylor would look perfect in his style (and super hot as well)

427Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:46 pm

BeDaOrLiSeAr

BeDaOrLiSeAr

I agree. If you mean Jay Naylor. He is pretty good.

428Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:49 pm

cenaris

cenaris

BeDaOrLiSeAr wrote:I agree. If you mean Jay Naylor. He is pretty good.

Not Jay Naylor, the character Naylor. From Jack's own Vicky series.

429Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:18 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

cenaris wrote:
*looks them up*
Campbell drew the Gen13 stuff didn't he? Because he drew the Caitlain Fairchild character who has hair like Vicky.

WHAT?! You had to look up who J Scott Campbell was?!

(Well, to be fair, he hasn't done much but the odd cover for a while...)

https://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

430Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:21 pm

cenaris

cenaris

jollyjack wrote:
cenaris wrote:
*looks them up*

WHAT?! You had to look up who J Scott Campbell was?!

(Well, to be fair, he hasn't done much but the odd cover for a while...)

Not exactly. (I think some of his stuff is in my DA faves) I was aware of him, but had to do a double take to see if he had drawn Gen13. Forgot if he had. Silly me.
Having said that, I'm happy I checked again Smile

What's the best way to tap into imagination and get some stories thought out and structured?

431Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 am

rpx

When does the GoodCat Comic come out?

432Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:00 pm

MicasR

MicasR

jollyjack wrote:
MicasR wrote:I have an extremely important question to ask. It's a matter of dual boot or not!

Jolly! Should I buy a tablet now? And hope that because I purchased it I will somehow be compelled to draw better? Or should I just give up and buy a second HDD for a Linux dual boot?

Only buy a tablet if you're actually going to USE it.
If you're just drawing as a hobby; stick with a pen and paper. It's cheaper Smile

Well, I won't buy an exceptionally expensive tablet, and if I end up neglecting it my sister could always use it as a back up if her tablet brakes.

433Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:08 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

rpx wrote:When does the GoodCat Comic come out?

That's nowhere near being finished.
I'm focusing on Little Victory at the moment.

434Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:19 pm

SCKnight14

1) Has either Art or Kat been on any dates?

2) What are the characters' favorite superheroes?

3) Which one is the better cook? The pancake incident doesn't count.

4) What are the sizes of the characters (Height, weight, and anything else you want to include, but don't post the girls' weights; I'm a gentleman after all)?

5) In school, what were the characters' favorite and least favorite subjects?

6) Where are the characters originally from? For example, is Art from South Carolina, while Kat is from New York?

7) Do they speak any foreign languages?

8] What foods do they not like?

435Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:56 am

CyberCorn Entropic

CyberCorn Entropic

Quoth SCKnight14:
6) Where are the characters originally from? For example, is Art from South Carolina, while Kat is from New York?
Probably from somewhere in the UK since that's where the comic is based. geek My guess is that Kat came from the general neighborhood of the comics' setting, since she ran across an old teacher of hers.

Say, did Miss Strinpit deliberately call Walkworth Gallery because she knew Kat worked there?

http://www.freewebs.com/roadstripe/index.htm

436Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:15 am

cenaris

cenaris

A few more Chloe questions (because I think that girl is interesting)

1) What does she do to beat boredom on planes? The obvious answer would be "get frisky with the cabin crew", but is there other stuff she does as well? Watch a movie maybe?

2) Does she suffer badly from Jetlag?

3) Does she have a favourite city by any chance? She must love Paris or Manhattan surely...

4) Has anything been said about her family/past before?

437Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:22 am

26_9

L.O.L. !!!

438Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

Mr. Jolly jack,

I got into a very deep conversation with my parents, today. And we were talking about my passion and what I want to do in the future. I wanted to know how it was for you to decide how you were going to live your life. Did you always know you wanted to be an artist? What were some of the phases of your life and career development did you go through? Are you truly satisfied and happy with your career choice?
Do you have any tips and what not on how to do it? (how you did it)

Thank you

http://nikolai-bartolf.deviantart.com/

439Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:53 pm

MicasR

MicasR

Listen here Nikolai, I wouldn't consider my advice of any worth, but, I would like to point out the possibility that you could just go study two things, one that you can actually work with and after that you can go onto studying your passion.

440Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:57 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

Nikolai wrote:I wanted to know how it was for you to decide how you were going to live your life. Did you always know you wanted to be an artist? What were some of the phases of your life and career development did you go through? Are you truly satisfied and happy with your career choice?

You should work out what it is you enjoy doing, and then find an industry in which you can get paid for it.
Then; learn everything you can ABOUT that industry. Talk to people from it, find out where potential employers are and find out what they are looking for in an employee.

441Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:31 am

stephanodude

stephanodude

hows the weather?

442Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:32 am

cenaris

cenaris

jollyjack wrote:
Nikolai wrote:I wanted to know how it was for you to decide how you were going to live your life. Did you always know you wanted to be an artist? What were some of the phases of your life and career development did you go through? Are you truly satisfied and happy with your career choice?

You should work out what it is you enjoy doing, and then find an industry in which you can get paid for it.
Then; learn everything you can ABOUT that industry. Talk to people from it, find out where potential employers are and find out what they are looking for in an employee.

I suppose you still have to get the qualifications for it though? I mean you have to have a piece of paper nowadays just to clean a toilet in some shopping centre.

443Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:22 am

SCKnight14

1) Who is the better cook?

2) When Pip graduated from college, what was his degree in?

3) Why does Pip dislike Halloween?

4) Do any of the characters know how to swim? I know Pip does, since he's a penguin.

5) When they going to school, what were the characters' favorite and least favorite subjects? This is not including college, just high school.

444Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

Mr. Jack

I have reached a brick wall in my...moral thoughts/goals with art. I don't know where else to turn. So if I may ask you these questions, (and hope to get more helpful advise/info.)
How did you develop you art style? (How you draw your cartoons and furries/anthros) What kind of steps did you take to find your true style that you stick with your whole career? (not just practicing) like, Where did (how did) you come to the point to draw something like a picture of Scarlet. How did you just begin to start drawing into that style?

Thank you for your previous advice, and these last questions should do the trick for me to "continue" my art passion.

http://nikolai-bartolf.deviantart.com/

445Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

Nikolai wrote:I have reached a brick wall in my...moral thoughts/goals with art. I don't know where else to turn. So if I may ask you these questions, (and hope to get more helpful advise/info.)
How did you develop you art style? (How you draw your cartoons and furries/anthros) What kind of steps did you take to find your true style that you stick with your whole career? (not just practicing) like, Where did (how did) you come to the point to draw something like a picture of Scarlet. How did you just begin to start drawing into that style?

A style is developed over time. Like the ability to draw; it's honed with practice.
I developed my style by looking at artists whose work I liked and trying to emulate their methods (But not copy the content! That's a waste of time. Always draw your own characters).
You'll naturally mix the methods together (provided you draw something every day) and create your own style.

446Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:22 am

SCKnight14

jollyjack wrote:
Nikolai wrote:I have reached a brick wall in my...moral thoughts/goals with art. I don't know where else to turn. So if I may ask you these questions, (and hope to get more helpful advise/info.)

A style is developed over time. Like the ability to draw; it's honed with practice.
I developed my style by looking at artists whose work I liked and trying to emulate their methods (But not copy the content! That's a waste of time. Always draw your own characters).
You'll naturally mix the methods together (provided you draw something every day) and create your own style.

Not to mention, copying someone's else characters, in my opinion, is a clear example that you are either lazy or do not respect the styles of other artists. Usually it's both.

447Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:50 am

Pietja

Have you ever draw Garfield in a... "situation" with a catgirl?

Just chekin' if what I saw was yours (and I belive it was).

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

448Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:45 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

Pietja wrote:Have you ever draw Garfield in a... "situation" with a catgirl?

Just chekin' if what I saw was yours (and I belive it was).

I think I sketched something stupid like that for B3TA a while back.

449Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:22 pm

BeDaOrLiSeAr

BeDaOrLiSeAr

jollyjack wrote:

I can't upload it now (nor do I intend to for the time being) but Just today I have seen what JJ is saying when I drew a new character. I call him Ryan Melfire and I made him combining Better Days/Original Life, and Derideal. I may have only been drawing for two months, and I haven't improved much, but I know from experiance that JJ is right.

Oh, and JJ, do you use wireframes? If so: Are they easy for you to use? Is it hard sometimes to see the flesh over the frame when drawing it?( is it hard to tell if it is the right stance you want)

450Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Pietja

BeDaOrLiSeAr wrote:Oh, and JJ, do you use wireframes?

I guess Mr. Jackson have to make FAQ about his drawing methods or he'll be asked the same questions over and over again.

http://jollyjack.deviantart.com/#/d2rgsob - check out this one, lates JJ's DA entry about constructing a page. The anwser to your question lies there.

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum