Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ask Jolly Jack!

+106
ugilick
Moonman
Winds
campfire
tomllama2
Dreadstunlock
bigro
Kairu88
Agent
The Doctor
Teh Clok
The Mighty Monkey
TheGreatHibiki
LovelyDays
Whisper
KaZe
Liam
yellowrock
Grandia
randomname
Felonious Exalt
Xan
patanu102
Haventownsend
Vordreller
scienceguy8
DarkKlade
bylmdav
sneakerfox
Mr.Green
Youchip
zombiepancakes
swordfish
tigerfan51087
Howdy Rowdy
Drunkenvalley
User Name
randomnameMKIII
willdye
SourKraut
Inakan
Blacklite
Silverslate
Damien Darkside
Rat King
firebolt85
MicasR
SCKnight14
Ciaran Nihill
Sylentknight
BeDaOrLiSeAr
Pandora
billy-bob
Clockwork
Smelge
Triskelli
Zumbo Prime
Haskins
not_cenaris
Toshiro
CoreyBlueExclusive
Ganthan
Nikolai
Frist
Theo
Dutch
Dude523
Maple_Fish
stephanodude
Rad
Pietja
rpx
Tom
Trevon Fox
Mutant for Hire
wolfman-al
Kaboom
Painted
crazyjc15
xivk
CyberCorn Entropic
Paranoid
Leak
Sketchtastic
hanyou
hiddenflame
GotV
cenaris
Vorthon
Xenathos
5c4rl37
uziel
wolfpax181
jimis
26_9
McClaw
NINJA!
AnthroFan
Lazarus Firenze
MadxHatter123
Zaran
malinborn
Charlie Foxtrot
LT.Raynor
jollyjack
electricv01
110 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 40]

226Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:58 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

cenaris wrote:Would the body Art and Pip buried in that flashback ages ago be linked to Vanity's upcoming ghost hunt?

Also, what's you opinion on character cameos in other webcomics? Would you thrilled or not if one of your characters had a background appearance in another webcomic?

No. That body was burried elsewhere.

As for cameos; it usually gets a smile Very Happy

https://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

227Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 pm

cenaris

cenaris

How do you break out of an art block? I'm sure you get them too. I just as soon as I pick up the pen, I start to feel overwhelmed by the thought of not performing that well with it. Any ideas?

228Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:43 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

cenaris wrote:How do you break out of an art block? I'm sure you get them too. I just as soon as I pick up the pen, I start to feel overwhelmed by the thought of not performing that well with it. Any ideas?

I do something else for a while. If you're not in the mood to do art, you're just gonna make things worse by sitting, staring at a blank page.

229Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:49 pm

cenaris

cenaris

jollyjack wrote:

I do something else for a while. If you're not in the mood to do art, you're just gonna make things worse by sitting, staring at a blank page.

Good point.

230Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:28 pm

CyberCorn Entropic

CyberCorn Entropic

The thing with art blocks (and writer's blocks for that matter) is that you're trying to force yourself into drawing something you really don't want to draw (or write). Often, the best remedy is to draw (or write) something else, preferably something that you find fun to draw (or write), and/or turn off your brain and see what comes out.

http://www.freewebs.com/roadstripe/index.htm

231Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

CyberCorn Entropic wrote:The thing with art blocks (and writer's blocks for that matter) is that you're trying to force yourself into drawing something you really don't want to draw (or write). Often, the best remedy is to draw (or write) something else, preferably something that you find fun to draw (or write), and/or turn off your brain and see what comes out.

Ya, but you see, that dosent work well if you cant in-vision it. if you cant see what ur going to draw form in your head, thair is no way that you will get it on paper. (I know from experience)

http://nikolai-bartolf.deviantart.com/

232Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Haskins

Haskins

Zaran wrote:What ever happened to that Lemur neighbor in SA?

There's a lemur in Sequential Art?

233Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:25 am

CyberCorn Entropic

CyberCorn Entropic

Quoth Nikolai:
Ya, but you see, that dosent work well if you cant in-vision it. if you cant see what ur going to draw form in your head, thair is no way that you will get it on paper. (I know from experience)
That may actually be the problem. You're trying to come up with a concrete image before you draw it (at least, that's how I'm interpreting what you're saying).

Think of coming up with something to draw like running a car engine. If you want the engine to run smoothly, you need to warm it up first and get the oil lubricating the engine, but racing down the highway immediately upon starting the engine forces it to work harder and possibly even make it seize up because the oil isn't circulated enough.

Your brain is similar. It needs to be warmed up, perhaps by doodling in your sketchbook until an image bursts into your mind. That's what they mean by "getting the creative juices flowing". Those creative juices are the oil for your artistic brain.

If you're stuck on an image, you may be trying to force it through a part of your artistic brain that is, for some reason, lacking lubrication of creative juices. Maybe you really don't want to go the route you're trying to force your brain to go, but haven't admitted it yet. Possibly, you just need to warm up a bit and think of something else so your subconscious can play around with the idea for a bit.

This is basically what National Novel Writing Month encourages writers to do – stop focusing on coming up with a final work and just scribble out stuff, no matter how inane, half-witted, lame, or stupid it might be. Somewhere along the way (and you might not immediately realize it's happened), an idea will spark and that image you're trying to envision will start to appear.

Quoth Haskins:
There's a lemur in Sequential Art?
He's a ring-tailed lemur boy whom Jolly Jack was thinking of adding as a neighbor at one point. I know of two images in which he's shown — this one and this one.

234Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 am

Nikolai

Nikolai

OMG!!! thats the first time ive seen a picture of him. Thats awesome!

235Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:09 pm

rpx

Will there be jade solo stories?

236Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:56 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

rpx wrote:Will there be jade solo stories?

Perhaps at some pont, but the 3 recently rescued Quinten girls need a bit of character development first. They're still just side-kick material.

237Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:44 am

CyberCorn Entropic

CyberCorn Entropic

Out of random curiosity, of what species is the lady Kat is threatening in the following comic?
Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 SA_0356_small
She doesn't appear to be feline like Kat, but she does look sort of like a squirrel differently colored from Scarlet (perhaps a gray squirrel?). Granted, she could also be some other species, hence the question.

238Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:12 am

Nikolai

Nikolai

CyberCorn Entropic wrote:Out of random curiosity, of what species is the lady Kat is threatening in the following comic?
Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 SA_0356_small
She doesn't appear to be feline like Kat, but she does look sort of like a squirrel differently colored from Scarlet (perhaps a gray squirrel?). Granted, she could also be some other species, hence the question.

I always thought that she was a dog mix?

239Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:18 am

rpx

After seeing what Helga can do. There is no doubt that she can go toe to toe with Xane from Gold Diggers.

Ever plan on doing a fan pic of Xane and Helga together ?

What ever happened to Sky?

After conquering South America what region of the World is Hamster Jack going after next?

240Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 am

cenaris

cenaris

Funny I was beginning to wonder where Sky went. I'd like to see more of her regardless of whether it's in the continued pages of her comic, something new or even in an Apsara folio, I think she needs to make another appearence.

241Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:18 am

rpx

cenaris wrote:Funny I was beginning to wonder where Sky went. I'd like to see more of her regardless of whether it's in the continued pages of her comic, something new or even in an Apsara folio, I think she needs to make another appearence.

She is in the the first Plethora of Pinup in the 2009 Apsara. But that is about all I've seen of her in a while. Praying for a Chloe and Sky Aspara at one point or another.

242Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:35 am

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

rpx wrote:After seeing what Helga can do. There is no doubt that she can go toe to toe with Xane from Gold Diggers.

Ever plan on doing a fan pic of Xane and Helga together ?

What ever happened to Sky?

The Nubian Avatar of Battle vs. A Valhallan-born Nordic Valkyrie.
Yeah; I'd pay to see that Very Happy

Not had the chance to get back to Sky. She's one of many characters waiting for attention.

243Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:55 am

cenaris

cenaris

rpx wrote:Praying for a Chloe and Sky Aspara at one point or another.

I hope people are taking note. Wasn't Sky originally designed to be Chloe's playmate i,e: NSFW content?

jollyjack wrote:Not had the chance to get back to Sky. She's one of many characters waiting for attention.

I would be interested to see what she does next.

244Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:40 pm

rpx

jollyjack wrote:
The Nubian Avatar of Battle vs. A Valhallan-born Nordic Valkyrie.
Yeah; I'd pay to see that Very Happy

I second that. Wink

245Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Frist

Frist

Have you ever needed or used reference sheets for your characters? If so, are they anywhere online, or do you ever plan on putting them up?

246Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:07 am

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

Frist wrote:Have you ever needed or used reference sheets for your characters?

Nope. I just look back at previous images I've drawn of them and use those as reference.

247Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:45 am

cenaris

cenaris

Jack,
What would you consider good practise for colour scheme design? I don't mean practise as in using the same colours for a certain character each time, but rather I mean discovering the right colour scheme that fits the character.

248Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:31 am

rpx

Could you post the last two pages of the Sky Adventure.

249Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 am

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

cenaris wrote:Jack,
What would you consider good practise for colour scheme design? I don't mean practise as in using the same colours for a certain character each time, but rather I mean discovering the right colour scheme that fits the character.

I'm the last person you should ask for advice on colouring. I'm crap at it.
My method for coming up with a colour scheme is to colour the lineart on a series of separate layers and then alter each until I'm happy with the hue.

250Ask Jolly Jack! - Page 10 Empty Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:05 am

cenaris

cenaris

jollyjack wrote:
cenaris wrote:Jack,

I'm the last person you should ask for advice on colouring. I'm crap at it.
My method for coming up with a colour scheme is to colour the lineart on a series of separate layers and then alter each until I'm happy with the hue.

I was talking more along the lines of how you came to the colours your use for certain characters i.e: How you decided Kat had a certain hair colour or how Pip always wears the same coloured jumper or so on.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum