Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Diplomacy; Anyone interested?

+3
jollyjack
Nikolai
Triskelli
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Triskelli

Triskelli

After seeing the "forum fights" and knowing the megalomaniacal nature of most members here, I'd like to see if anyone is interested in starting a game of Diplomacy

"What is Diplomacy?" the less informed of you may ask. Allow me to shed light on your ignorance.

"Diplomacy" is a wargame played between seven people, each controlling one of the seven major powers of Europe during the First World War; France, Russia, Italy, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, and England.

Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Dip

A first look at the board is reminesceint of RISK, but there are a few key differences in gameplay.

1.) There are no dice.
-Aside from the initial choice of powers, there are no random mechanical elements, only trying to outguess your human opponents.

2.) There are no individual turns
-All movements are done simultaneously, like in real warfare. You would submit the orders for your units [Fleet Ankara move to Black Sea, for instance] and the other players would submit theirs. The next turn all moves are processed, and the units are moved when possible.

3.) Diplomacy and negotiations are a vital par of the game, but an alliance cannot share a true win.
-Here's where the true love of the game shows through. In order to win the game, one player must capture 18 supply centers (the circles on the map], and there are only 34 on the field. For those of you not quick with numbers, 34/2 = 17. There can be only one highlander, to use a manner of speaking. But on the other hand, it's dangerous to go alone! You'll need at least need someone on your side if you want any hope of winning, but you'll have to stab them in the back at some point as well. This particularly devious aspect of the game is what makes it so exciting to play, and will be the true test of your powers of persuasion.

A far better explination of the movement rules than I can give can be found [here], with graphic aids.

So, would anyone be interested in me GMing a game? I'll have some free time on my hands before too long =] All the updates will be handled on the forum, and I'll provide weekly maps and updates.

Here are the people who have signed up so far, and the nations they've chosen.

France - p1x13st1ck
Germany- MicasR
Turkey -
England-
Russia - Nikolai
Italy - PMJ(?) still keeping it open
Austria-

Last edited by Triskelli on Sun May 09, 2010 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

2Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

Twisted Evil I want to be da purple guy, hehehe

http://nikolai-bartolf.deviantart.com/

3Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:44 pm

Triskelli

Triskelli

Nikolai wants Russia; Any other takers?

C'mon, PMJ! This is your chance to show Austria's mechanical dominance with the diabolical persona of Conrad Hurtz!

4Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sat May 01, 2010 12:00 am

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

Tempting. I love a good war-game, but I can't spare the time Very Happy

https://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

5Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sat May 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Triskelli

Triskelli

jollyjack wrote:Tempting. I love a good war-game, but I can't spare the time Very Happy

I'll put you as Italy then. He doesn't have much to worry about for a while, just watch for the trecherous Archduke trying to take Venice! Very Happy

6Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sat May 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

Hey Triskelli? Which country are you?

7Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sat May 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Triskelli

Triskelli

I can't pick one, since I'd be the GM; It'll be my job to gather everyone's orders and create the maps. However, if I COULD pick, it'd be Turkey. It's fun being the Vizier!

8Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

ATTACK TURKEY THEN!!! (gobble gobble)

9Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Fri May 07, 2010 4:38 pm

p1x13st1ck

p1x13st1ck

France, oui?

10Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Fri May 07, 2010 5:44 pm

Triskelli

Triskelli

Ok, so we have two definites, one maybe. We still need 4/5 people to join up!

11Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sat May 08, 2010 7:50 am

MicasR

MicasR

I'll join. Might as well since I don't post anywhere Wink

12Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sat May 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Nikolai

Nikolai

\
.\
..\
...\
....\
.....\
......\
.......\
........\
.........\
..........\
...........\
............\
.............\
..............\
...............\
................\
.................\ Boredism.......Its a Problem...
................./
................/
.............../
............../
............./
............/
.........../
........../
........./
......../
......./
....../
...../
..../
.../
../
./
/

13Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sat May 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Triskelli

Triskelli

?

Ok, so we have Russia, France, Italy maybe, so who does Micas want to be?

14Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 am

MicasR

MicasR

Wait, Russia is chosen. Damn Sad

Well in that case I choose you! Germany!

15Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 5:39 am

Nikolai

Nikolai

hahahahaha! I see a country named (Abbreviated) "Gas", HAHAHAHA!

16Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 6:09 am

wolfman-al

wolfman-al

Sad
I REFUSE to be located an area with Munich as capital!!!

http://www.airpatrolonline.net

17Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 6:12 am

Triskelli

Triskelli

Be Austria, then. I hear Vienna is nice!

18Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 7:51 am

MicasR

MicasR

So exactly how does this game work? Who chooses how many places I can attack at once and how many defences I have?

(And can I attack neutral countries Razz)

19Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 7:53 am

wolfman-al

wolfman-al

Triskelli wrote:Be Austria, then. I hear Vienna is nice!
No I mean I live in Frankfurt, and on your map that is located in an area that is ruled byMunich for some reason. Hesse does NOT belong to Bavaria!

http://www.airpatrolonline.net

20Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 8:26 am

Triskelli

Triskelli

@MicasR, you'll be given a set number of Armies and Fleets that can move one space per turn. Any unit can support the move or support the hold of any other unit as long as the unit can move to the space being held or being moved to. This is basically how alliances work, which can be made or broken with no restrictions... however the "stab" is a tricky thing and should only be tried when you can gain a distinct upper-hand in a single turn.

21Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 am

Triskelli

Triskelli

Oh, and @wolfman, this map is supposed to represent Europe at the start of the First World War. That's why nome of the countries that are on the map aren't really around today or aren't fully represented.

22Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 8:52 am

MicasR

MicasR

Ah ok, thanks.

And how will it be represented? Will you update the map as new territories are acquired and armies move?

23Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 8:55 am

Triskelli

Triskelli

I have a judge program that creates maps that I can turn into various image files. I'll set up a different thread once the game begins for any "public press" or messages you want everyone to hear to be displayed, as well as for posting maps.

24Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 8:58 am

Pietja

wolfman-al wrote:Sad
I REFUSE to be located an area with Munich as capital!!!

You have a reasons to brag? Poland was divided by three vultures - Austria, Prussia (or rather II-nd Reich) and Russia.

Eh, history. Respect it and learn from it.

That's why I don't have any reason to play Very Happy.

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

25Diplomacy;  Anyone interested? Empty Re: Diplomacy; Anyone interested? Sun May 09, 2010 9:03 am

MicasR

MicasR

Man, don't you like alternative history Razz

It's always more fun than actual history xD

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum