Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books

+18
Rad
GoldenDragon
Zaran
26_9
Retsof
Trevon Fox
Lazarus Firenze
Forthwol
NINJA!
CyberCorn Entropic
Pietja
Biocat
jimis
Leak
Xenathos
Ellis
Empathique
Paranoid
22 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Books Empty Books Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Paranoid

Paranoid

What books you guys like to read? Favorite authors? Do you even read at all?

2Books Empty Re: Books Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Empathique

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

3Books Empty Re: Books Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Ellis

Ellis

Military history, historical fiction, sci-fi. I'm a fan of Harry Turtledove and Steven Coonts. I've actually got a signed first edition of Flight of the Intruder when I went to a community lunch with him. (No, I'm not lying, sillys Razz )

4Books Empty Re: Books Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:50 pm

Paranoid

Paranoid

OH MAH GOD YES.

Douglas Adams is one of my absolute favorite authors. I just finished re-reading The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul and The Salmon Of Doubt. Very Happy

5Books Empty Re: Books Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Paranoid

Paranoid

Ellis wrote:Military history, historical fiction, sci-fi. I'm a fan of Harry Turtledove and Steven Coonts. I've actually got a signed first edition of Flight of the Intruder when I went to a community lunch with him. (No, I'm not lying, sillys Razz )

I think i've read some Harry Turtledove, did he write Into the Darkness?

6Books Empty Re: Books Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Ellis

Ellis

Paranoid wrote:
Ellis wrote:Military history, historical fiction, sci-fi. I'm a fan of Harry Turtledove and Steven Coonts. I've actually got a signed first edition of Flight of the Intruder when I went to a community lunch with him. (No, I'm not lying, sillys Razz )

I think i've read some Harry Turtledove, did he write Into the Darkness?

I believe he did, although I've never read it myself.

7Books Empty Re: Books Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:02 am

Xenathos

Xenathos

Terry Goodkind: Laws of magic. 12 part Fantasy series.
And offcourse Harry Potter. (Fantasy addict here)

https://www.youtube.com/user/XellXenathos

8Books Empty Re: Books Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:59 am

Leak

Leak

Terry Pratchett, Greg Bear, Neil Stephenson.

Tons of manga.

And even more tons of Perry Rhodan, which is probably a life-long task at 2518 and counting issues at 60 pages each - in my case it's "I've read most of it over the past 17 or so years..." Very Happy

9Books Empty Re: Books Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:38 am

jimis

jimis

Favourite books that I always go back to from time to time....

Consider Phlebas - Iain M Banks - Intelligent Sci-Fi/Action. The easiest on the brain of the 'Culture' series.

World War Z - Max Brooks - Never have zombies been taken so seriously!

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman - Film was rubbish, but the books take you to places no kids story should go....

Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger - I can't tell you why I like this book. Nothing much happens but it's bloody marvolous!

Commonwealth Saga - Peter F Hamilton - Nearly Finished. Epic tale that spans the Galaxy.

10Books Empty Re: Books Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:27 am

Paranoid

Paranoid

jimis wrote:Favourite books that I always go back to from time to time....

Consider Phlebas - Iain M Banks - Intelligent Sci-Fi/Action. The easiest on the brain of the 'Culture' series.

World War Z - Max Brooks - Never have zombies been taken so seriously!

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman - Film was rubbish, but the books take you to places no kids story should go....

Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger - I can't tell you why I like this book. Nothing much happens but it's bloody marvolous!

Commonwealth Saga - Peter F Hamilton - Nearly Finished. Epic tale that spans the Galaxy.

Have you read the zombie survival guide by Max Brooks? I think World War Z is like a sequel or something. But yeah, reading that book at night makes you start to get really paranoid and start to make a zombie plan, just in case.

And i totally agree about his dark materials, they were great. Didn't bother seeing the film. I was like "Golden Compass? Come on, Alethiometer isn't that hard to pronounce."

11Books Empty Re: Books Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:47 am

Biocat

Biocat

I need more space for all my books. I like Stephen King's books, mostly Cujo, The Stand, Cell, Misery, and Gerald's Game. I've also been getting into Dean Koontz's stuff lately, and Michael Crichton (I love Jurasic Park). James Rollins is also good, he writes books like Dan Brown's (Da Vinci Code) but with more action. I also like Jack Ketchum, he writes stories that are scary cause they could happen. Even though they're teen serieses I like the Maximum Ride books by James Patterson and Redwall by Brian Jacques. World War Z is fantastic, so is the Zombie Survival Guide. I also enjoyed the Hannibal books by Thomas Harris, Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling (of course), the Dragon Throne Trilogy by Allison Baird, and the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. I also like Orson Scott Card's work, especially the Ender books, and I like all the Halo books. I pretty much read most things I come across, I'm even going to give Twilight a chance dispite all the horrible things I've heard about it. Oh, and the series that started my massive love for reading? Animorphs by A. K. Applegate. Totally fell apart at the end, but I loved it anyways.

http://www.kristalstittle.com

12Books Empty Re: Books Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Paranoid

Paranoid

Biocat wrote:I need more space for all my books. I like Stephen King's books, mostly Cujo, The Stand, Cell, Misery, and Gerald's Game. I've also been getting into Dean Koontz's stuff lately, and Michael Crichton (I love Jurasic Park). James Rollins is also good, he writes books like Dan Brown's (Da Vinci Code) but with more action. I also like Jack Ketchum, he writes stories that are scary cause they could happen. Even though they're teen serieses I like the Maximum Ride books by James Patterson and Redwall by Brian Jacques. World War Z is fantastic, so is the Zombie Survival Guide. I also enjoyed the Hannibal books by Thomas Harris, Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling (of course), the Dragon Throne Trilogy by Allison Baird, and the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. I also like Orson Scott Card's work, especially the Ender books, and I like all the Halo books. I pretty much read most things I come across, I'm even going to give Twilight a chance dispite all the horrible things I've heard about it. Oh, and the series that started my massive love for reading? Animorphs by A. K. Applegate. Totally fell apart at the end, but I loved it anyways.

Waheyy Redwall! i read the crap out of those as a kid and i still like to reread the ones i still have lying about. Very Happy Ima need to check out James Rollins after i finish with the books im reading atm. You make him sound neat. And yes, C. S. Lewis is an amazing author.

I enjoyed Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, but just never got around to finding a copy of Speaker For The Dead. I suppose i should. People say it's the best in the series. And i've been trying to get hold of a copy of Fall Of Reach for awhile now Razz

And good on you for trying Twilight. I don't like people who are opinionated about something they can't have an opinion on because they have never read. That said, i hated it. It made me want to punch Meyer in the jaw, but at least i can justify it, you see?

13Books Empty Re: Books Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Pietja

Besides fantasy, sci-fi, horror and criminal books of various authors I tend to read some history books, although lately I don't have time for it.

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

14Books Empty Re: Books Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:16 pm

CyberCorn Entropic

CyberCorn Entropic

I've read Star Trek, Redwall, assorted other anthropomorphic animal fiction, books on miscellany and lesser known words, Discworld, Harry Potter, various national epics and classic works like The Kalevala and The Iliad, the occasional reference book, The Complete Peanuts, etc. Alas, due to lack of funds, I've fallen behind on many of these.

http://www.freewebs.com/roadstripe/index.htm

15Books Empty Re: Books Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:58 am

NINJA!

NINJA!

My favorites are The Catcher in the Rye, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, George Orwell's books, and Ayn Rand.

16Books Empty Re: Books Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Forthwol

Forthwol

I don't read books much but I have come to enjoy Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I just picked up Storm Front after my friend told me a bit about the book and so far I'm enjoying it.

17Books Empty Re: Books Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:02 am

Pietja

"The Name Of The Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss is a book that I'm currently reading.

And I do recommend it!

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

18Books Empty Re: Books Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Lazarus Firenze

Lazarus Firenze

[Takes deep breath]

Terry Pratchett's Discworld, Black Library books, Horus Heresy Series, Gaunts Ghosts, Soul Drinkers, Maximum Ride, Space Wolf series, Grey Knights Series, Military History, Military Vehicle Spec books (yeah I know...).... This list could go on forever.

19Books Empty Re: Books Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:03 am

Trevon Fox

Trevon Fox

Reading is something I do everyday all day.

I mainly only read fantasy novels though will dab a little in other things. Ironically my Favorite Book happens to be "The Giver" by Lois Lowry which happens to be scifi and not Fantasy.

I read tons of manga which I have yet to fine one I favor the most.

The same goes for web comics but of course SA is one of my top, along with better days and Mega Tokyo, which is also ironic seeing as Mega Tokyo and Sa are nothing like Better days....

20Books Empty Re: Books Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:07 am

Retsof

Retsof

Jack McDevitt: Priscilla Huchkins series. (First book, The Engines of God)
Timothy Zahn: Dragonback Seiries. (First book, Dragon and Thief)

21Books Empty Re: Books Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 am

26_9

My ones:
"Electrics generally"
"Theory of chains"
"Big book of pupil"

22Books Empty Re: Books Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Zaran

Zaran

Redwall Series by Brian Jacques
Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum
Halo Series by Eric Nylund

Plus various history, aircraft, ship, and World War II books which I keep around the house.

http://zaranr.deviantart.com

23Books Empty Re: Books Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Paranoid

Paranoid

Zaran wrote:Redwall Series by Brian Jacques

Plus various history, aircraft, ship, and World War II books which I keep around the house.

I've been meaning to read the Halo books but i can't find them anywhere. Sad

And the bourne series is great. Very Happy

24Books Empty Re: Books Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Zaran

Zaran

Paranoid wrote:

They are usually in the sci-fi section of either Barnes and Noble, Borders, or any of the large chain book stores

Hell yea, though I was surprised when they killed off Marie in the movies.

http://zaranr.deviantart.com

25Books Empty Re: Books Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Paranoid

Paranoid

Zaran wrote:
Paranoid wrote:

They are usually in the sci-fi section of either Barnes and Noble, Borders, or any of the large chain book stores

Hell yea, though I was surprised when they killed off Marie in the movies.

Different country brah, those bookstore names mean nothing to me. Thanks though. The biggest bookstore we have is Whittcoulls, and i think i've seen Fall of Reach in there like, once, when i happened to have no money on me. Can't find them in my local library either, and i can't get bloody Amazon to ship to New Zealand.

AND SAAAAAME.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next