Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evidence of a romantic relationship

+11
Martian Samurai
Damien Darkside
not_cenaris
stephanodude
MicasR
Pietja
Pandora
Leak
BenRG
cenaris
SCKnight14
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Evidence of a romantic relationship Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:36 pm

SCKnight14

Okay, for some reason, I've gotten the idea of Art and Kat as couple stuck in my head (thank you Jolly Jack for doing that). So, I've been going through the comic, trying to see if I could find any evidence of a relationship forming between the two. I've actually found some:

Page # 176 (This one is most important as although Art doesn't come out and say it, he is implying that Kat is very beautiful both inside and outside, unlike Hillary who although beautiful on the outside, is downright hideous on the inside)
185 (She grabs on his arm for protection; then again, he was the closest guy to latch onto, and I doubt she would seek protection from Pip, no offense to his fans)
217-218 (These are important as well as when Kat realizes that Art had no idea that she had fallen asleep with her head between his legs and screamed at him, thinking he had let her do it on purpose [see pages 214-216], she apologizes to him for misunderstanding. However, he is clueless to what is happening. Most guys are clueless when a romantic relationship starts, however [Danny Phantom anyone?])
404 (Okay, that's a mistake on Vanity's fault, but I'm going to list it here anyways)
566-570 (Yeah, that's alot; 568 is really important, as it appears that Art almost said that he liked her)
http://jollyjack.deviantart.com/art/Are-you-purring-114642944?q=by%3Ajollyjack+kat+art&qo=10 (Hmmm...Why is she purring anyways?)

Well, that's what I found so far, and you are welcomed to post your ideas about this. Now, I could be wrong, and there might not be anything going on between them. If you see anything that disapproves a relationship, feel free to post them as well, as I'm not afraid of counterarguments. JollyJack is also welcome to post his thoughts, just as long as no one decides to throw kitchen sinks at me. Kitchen sinks tossed at me are my one weakness.

2Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:25 am

cenaris

cenaris

I think it will always implied there's that kind of tension between the two. But if it was fulfilled in a permission way it would kill off the strip. Letting the two lead characters of TV series Moonlighting get it together killed it off the entire show.

3Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:07 am

BenRG

BenRG

@ cenaris,

The resolution of UST is always generally a "Jump the Shark" moment for show or any story. The only show that I've seen that handled it well was the Niles/Daphne relationshiop in 'Fraiser' and they weren't the central characters, so it is a bit easier to deal with.

4Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:44 am

SCKnight14

cenaris wrote:I think it will always implied there's that kind of tension between the two. But if it was fulfilled in a permission way it would kill off the strip. Letting the two lead characters of TV series Moonlighting get it together killed it off the entire show.

You're also forgetting Kim Possible, where having the two lead characters didn't kill the show, but actually made it more popular.

5Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 am

cenaris

cenaris

SCKnight14 wrote:
You're also forgetting Kim Possible, where having the two lead characters didn't kill the show, but actually made it more popular.

Different shows, different target audiences. Moonlighting was a detective show geared towards a more adult audience (And Bruce Willis fans), and Kim possible is targeted towards a kids/teenage audience who like that sort of thing in their shows.

6Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:27 am

SCKnight14

cenaris wrote:
SCKnight14 wrote:

Different shows, different target audiences. Moonlighting was a detective show geared towards a more adult audience (And Bruce Willis fans), and Kim possible is targeted towards a kids/teenage audience who like that sort of thing in their shows.

Good points. Still, JollyJack seems to be throwing a lot of clues that a relationship is starting to develop between Kat and Art. We might need evidence that disproves a relationship is forming between the two. Anyways, while it might not have worked for Moonlighting and while it worked for Kim Possible, I think that it depends on how the writer (in this case JollyJack; yes, Jack, we're talking about you Wink ) approaches this type of development in the story and how he reveals it to his readers. If he just suddenly said, "Okay, y'all, Art and Kat are now a couple. Don't like it? Too bad, deal with it," then we the readers might be upset and the relationship will just ruin the story.

However, if JollyJack slowly builds the relationship up slowly (as it is often done in real life), creating tension and foreshadowing as well as showing the exact development of the romance, then instead of ruining the story, the romantic relationship will actually enhance and benefit the story.

7Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:03 am

Leak

Leak

cenaris wrote:
Well, it certainly didn't kill True Blood, but it's probably not the best example here, what with just about any main-ish character bedding someone sooner or later... Smile

np: Yagya - Snowflake 9 (Rhythm Of Snow)

8Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:46 am

BenRG

BenRG

SCKnight14 wrote:Still, JollyJack seems to be throwing a lot of clues that a relationship is starting to develop between Kat and Art. We might need evidence that disproves a relationship is forming between the two.
Not necessarily. I'm a veteran of the Pokémon shipper wars (jeez, that's going back a bit) and one thing that I learnt was that what a viewer or reader thinks he sees isn't necessarily what the writer intended.

A good example of this is the Harry/Ginny relationship in the 'Harry Potter' books. Harry's relationship with Ginny, although explicitly signposted by the narrative cues in 'Chamber of Secrets' was still against the flow of the story which had made a relationship with Hermione more clearly supported by 'on-screen' events. However, JKR had always intended Ginny to be Harry's "princess in the tower", so those hints are meaningless (although the character surgery that this required in 'Half-Blood Prince' is quite painful to read).

Unless any of us can see into JJ's mind, none of us can really say what his intentions are vis Art and Kat. We can only say what is clearly shown, that Kat has a deep emotional attachment to Art and that they have a friendship and mutual trust that underpins much of the structure of their worlds.

9Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am

SCKnight14

We'll just have to wait and see what JJ has in store for us. Although, I'm surprised that the man himself hasn't posted on here yet. You would think that he would have Helga whack me upside the head with a kitchen sink to keep me from spoiling any future story arcs.

Silliness aside, if JollyJack does ever pair them up, it would most likely be an awkward moment for both of them as they have been friends for a couple of years (JJ hasn't told us how long they've known each other, yet), and when best friends find out that they're falling in love with one another, it frightens them as they are afraid that their newly developed feelings for each other will destroy their friendship.

Let's keep those posts coming. I want to hear what the rest of you think.

10Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Pandora

Pandora

SCKnight14 wrote:We'll just have to wait and see what JJ has in store for us. Although, I'm surprised that the man himself hasn't posted on here yet. You would think that he would have Helga whack me upside the head with a kitchen sink to keep me from spoiling any future story arcs.

Silliness aside, if JollyJack does ever pair them up, it would most likely be an awkward moment for both of them as they have been friends for a couple of years (JJ hasn't told us how long they've known each other, yet), and when best friends find out that they're falling in love with one another, it frightens them as they are afraid that their newly developed feelings for each other will destroy their friendship.

JJ posts here all the time. This isn't the first time this subject has come up.

11Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:24 pm

SCKnight14

Pandora wrote:
SCKnight14 wrote:We'll just have to wait and see what JJ has in store for us. Although, I'm surprised that the man himself hasn't posted on here yet. You would think that he would have Helga whack me upside the head with a kitchen sink to keep me from spoiling any future story arcs.

JJ posts here all the time. This isn't the first time this subject has come up.

Yeah, I know. Although I would love to see them together, I actually like the tension JJ is creating as the comic continues. I just love suspense!

12Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 am

Pandora

Pandora

Personally, I wouldn't want to see a pairing of the two. He's a human and she's a cat. I know this is obviously a universe in which humans and anthropomorphic animals exist, but...he's a human....and she's a cat. ....You have to admit that would at least be a little weird.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think JJ has ever drawn a HUMAN in a sexual situation with an animal, or even an anthro. Looking through his artwork, he has some drawings here and there, like Lady Godiva and the Crockodile Hugger, but neither of those pictures depict anything that would suggest a relationship or sexual activity with an animal. The closest to that would be one, which the title escapes me at the moment, with a lady sitting in the lap of a giant cat. When there's hints or blatant showing of a relationship, sexual or otherwise, it's human+human, animal+animal.

Even with we readers knowing the background of these characters, I think JJ knows there is a line and where it lies. (He once drew a doodle depicting the difference between "acceptible" and "just wrong.") Sure, we talk about a relationship with Kat and Art, but I don't think that would actually be a very wise direction to take this comic.

13Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:56 am

BenRG

BenRG

Pandora wrote:Personally, I wouldn't want to see a pairing of the two. He's a human and she's a cat. I know this is obviously a universe in which humans and anthropomorphic animals exist, but...he's a human....and she's a cat. ....You have to admit that would at least be a little weird.
It depends on how you see the characters. She's a felinoid sapient. She's no more an 'animal' than an alien or a human. The pairing would be no odder than, say a human woman and an alien male with copper-based (green) blood (cf: Spock's parents in Star Trek) or human woman and hermaphrodite alien (cf: Usagi and Seiya in Sailor Moon Super-S).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think JJ has ever drawn a HUMAN in a sexual situation with an animal, or even an anthro.
That is true, I grant you.

FWIW, the female Neko is such a traditional motif of hentai art that I think that Jack is deliberately steering clear of it.

14Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:18 am

Pietja

Hm. Can't say I remember human on anthro... anthro on an anthro, yes, but HxA... no. I've seen Kat banged by a anthro cat but I'm not sure if that is JJ's stuff... although very simmilar.

Why weird? It's a comic and it's an outlet for a fantasy. Some angry mob from Equality Now and UNICEF tries to censor even it. And soon it'll be 1984 all over.

There are no no-no lines in drawing or fantasizing.
There is nothing wrong in art. There are some things that artist can consider wrong and decide to hide his most depraved, perverted, etc. works in the drawer, but no one, especialy moralfags from some social - but in fact - political organizations can say it's wrong for human being. Now this is wrong - saying what you can or can't do, see, hear, feel - experience.

For me wrong can mean having a marriage - it's an act of bonding that affects my personal freedom. For me it can be having a single partner - it affects my nature.

If JJ says that something that came from under his hands and from his head is wrong for us to see - that's fine - these are his creations and he can do whatever he want with them. But no one can say for me that seeing artwork by, hm, Dr. Comet for example is wrong besides Dr. Comet himself. But then I'd still watch it because it's published and amazingly well-drawn. Very Happy

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

15Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 am

MicasR

MicasR

Is it just me? Or am I not picking it up the same way you are? I don't see it as a building relationship, I see friendship or 'romantic' (for the lack of a better word) friendship. Maybe you interpret it as a coming relationship but JJ could have meant something else.

Honestly though, I like people who speculate about someone else's fiction. But like poems it gets really frustrating when people argue about the meaning of a verse (strip) that the author never intended. I'm amazed of some of the things readers can come up with from just reading a comic and thinking to much into it.

Now if you will excuse me I have some poems to analyse.

16Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:29 am

Pietja

MicasR wrote:
Now if you will excuse me I have some poems to analyse.

Go with the dadaistic one. Very Happy

17Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:30 am

Pandora

Pandora

Pietja wrote:Hm. Can't say I remember human on anthro... anthro on an anthro, yes, but HxA... no. I've seen Kat banged by a anthro cat but I'm not sure if that is JJ's stuff... although very simmilar.

I don't think that is JJ's stuff. He's said that he doesn't want to put Kat in that kind of situation. That's what Chloe is for, not Kat.

There are no no-no lines in drawing or fantasizing.
Some people fantasize about having sex with little children and draw it. I can safely say that's pretty wrong. People fantasize about fucking goats too, and I think we established already that JJ doesn't draw animals in sexual situations with humans. I also recall you making a post once about how you were pretty sure you fixed a computer for a zoophiliac, and you felt that was pretty wrong.

There is nothing wrong in art. There are some things that artist can consider wrong and decide to hide his most depraved, perverted, etc. works in the drawer, but no one, especialy moralfags from some social - but in fact - political organizations can say it's wrong for human being. Now this is wrong - saying what you can or can't do, see, hear, feel - experience.
Oh quit white-knighting. I don't know what it is you're crusading for, but it sounds like your trying to call me a moralfag in a roundabout way, and if you are, knock it off. If you paid attention to my post, you would notice that it was not ME who said ANYTHING was "wrong," but I was referrencing a drawing JJ himself did. He drew Kat in lingere, and noted it as "acceptible." Then he drew an actual cat, not anthro, but an actual house cat wearing the same lingere, and noted that was "wrong." So don't go acting like you've just made some profoud statement about art.

For me wrong can mean having a marriage - it's an act of bonding that affects my personal freedom. For me it can be having a single partner - it affects my nature.
Ugh, don't start. I didn't say anything about marriage or monogamy. ...Putting up with you seems to be against my nature...

If JJ says that something that came from under his hands and from his head is wrong for us to see - that's fine - these are his creations and he can do whatever he want with them.
He DID! You kind of skimmed over that part of my post.

18Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 am

Pietja

Pandora wrote:I don't think that is JJ's stuff. He's said that he doesn't want to put Kat in that kind of situation. That's what Chloe is for, not Kat.

It looks very simmilar. I can't provide a link here from obvious reasons. And it has smileys like those on JJ's blog on delicate places.

Pandora wrote:Some people fantasize about having sex with little children and draw it. I can safely say that's pretty wrong.

Either that or the real deal. Some people have issues that won't go away by any pharmalogical treatment, maybe except lobotomy, but that is outlawed. Some politicians think that chems and castration will cure the real sexual criminals, but it's not the problem - it's a problem of the mind not the brain or body. That's why tons & tons of people who have that problem secure themselves and others by drawing, fantasizing and creating stuff related to their dysfunction.
The topic wenether it should be published or not it's a matter of discussion. I honestly think that it should be avaliable through thrird publishing cycle.
That's that.

Pandora wrote:I also recall you making a post once about how you were pretty sure you fixed a computer for a zoophiliac, and you felt that was pretty wrong.

It was a first judgement. You see, Poland is still a place where farming takes an important role and most people in a thriving cities like mine are from countryside. It wasn't uncommon ten, five years ago that you could notice some families taking chickens to apartaments Very Happy.
I think the same goes for the goat and that guy who had masovian countryside accent. My first thought was the most obvious one that would come to mind of anyone from townfolk. Nobody says that a person can't keep farm animals in flat, as long as they make no noise or give any kind of trouble to the neighbours. But still I think that a goat is an overkill. Very Happy

Pandora wrote:it sounds like your trying to call me a moralfag in a roundabout way, and if you are, knock it off.

You do take things personally, don't you? I was pointing at organizations that deal with various things withouth knowing their nature or knowing just one side of it. F.ex. Greenpeace, PETA, Equality Now - organizations that are, in fact, crusading. If I'm crusading for something it's only the right to expression and freedom of thought and speech.
I had the luck to be born in the late years of communism so I couldn't experience the massive arsefukk that służba bezpieczeństwa (SB) provided for many citizens, including my uncle who was an activist. He wanted to have decent work for decent money, choice for choosing and living. Some people tend to forget that and they listen to organizations that "want to take us under care". Fuck, I once talked about comunism on a board related to it with few US citizens and they treated it like it was some kind of otherwordly science fiction!
I wished I could put those fuk's on a leg from the chair like SB did to the interrogated.

Pandora wrote:He DID! You kind of skimmed over that part of my post.

Pandora wrote:Ugh, don't start. I didn't say anything about marriage or monogamy. ...Putting up with you seems to be against my nature...

That's precisely why I used it Very Happy. To show the wrongness of the word wrong.

Pandora wrote:He DID! You kind of skimmed over that part of my post.

Well, maybe it's me and my understanding of english, but when you translate weird directly to my language it has a rather offensive and negative meaning nearly equaling with wrong. Bizzare, translated directly has more neutral or sometimes positive vibe.
So I guess I've got lost in translation, forgive me.

Anyway, I'm putting the cup on the dices, let them roll no more.

I'm gonna keep in line of the topic.

19Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 am

MicasR

MicasR

Pietja, you and Pandora have a lot of these types of arguments don't you.

In which case, go Pietja!

On topic... em... Read my post again Razz

20Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:56 am

Pietja

MicasR wrote:But like poems it gets really frustrating when people argue about the meaning of a verse (strip) that the author never intended.

Well, for the poets you can't say they intended anything. Poems are not novels, books. I remember my high school class interpreting poems. Poems with turpism themes especially that I find amazing while most either find them boring, full of nonsense, pesimism, nihilism or sometimes disgusting. A poet does not speak about the meaning, at least a real poet.
I think that it's an awesome fact seeing your piece being understood in various ways. Even if it's missing the author's point for a mile. Very Happy

MicasR wrote:I'm amazed of some of the things readers can come up with from just reading a comic and thinking to much into it.

Same was for a bible or koran - a good books with set of rules how to live a good life and to please a god interpreted and modified that in a way they did as much good as bad things.

Let's hope that someday some crazy fanatic won't find some secret meaning in Sequential Art and won't start a cult or something.

But I think I'd sing for it.

How's that poem of yours is going? Very Happy

21Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:26 pm

stephanodude

stephanodude

i personally want at least one of them to admit their......love/( i like you alot as in love) for one another. maybe kat is dating someone or is torn between him and some other guy or is just doesnt know what to say if art tells her. or art is stunned or something or is dating someone if she tells him

22Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

not_cenaris

not_cenaris

Google some sequential art fanfiction. There are a lot of such stuff online.

23Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Damien Darkside

Damien Darkside

Plenty of comics have made the two main characters hook-up (or date) and continued to be successful. Everything from Spiderman (even on rebirths, I've seen him date Kitty from the X-Men) to Garfield (Jon and Liz)and the thing about Kim Possible.

Heck How I met Your Mother (athough live-action) had the main characters hooking up and breaking apart.

Loads of stories have the main characters with romantic/sexual tensions. I wouldn't mind eventually seeing them hook-up.

24Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:11 pm

SCKnight14

stephanodude wrote:i personally want at least one of them to admit their......love/( i like you alot as in love) for one another. maybe kat is dating someone or is torn between him and some other guy or is just doesnt know what to say if art tells her. or art is stunned or something or is dating someone if she tells him

That's the kind of real world romantic build-up that I was talking about earlier! Because most everybody has experienced something like this, it will be easier to understand and follow, not to mention enhance and improve the storyline, not that JJ is doing a bad job at writing the story (He's actually doing an excellent job by the way).

Art seems to show a great deal of support and caring about Kat, just as Kat cares about him. I'm not going to repost my list of examples again.

I like how JollyJack causes them to blush whenever romantic tension starts to build between the two. That makes the relationship more believable and life-like. That just proves what a terrific writer JollyJack is as he understands that romance needs to be drawn and built upon, instead of being thrown in the readers' face like a flying kitchen sink coming out of nowhere.

25Evidence of a romantic relationship Empty Re: Evidence of a romantic relationship Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:14 am

BenRG

BenRG

I just want everyone to know that I hold all the Art/Kat shippers on this thread solely and personally responsible for the events in 6/11's strip. You guys had to push Jack so hard that he had to push back! Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum