Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Political Gibberish

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Political Gibberish Empty Political Gibberish Wed May 14, 2014 4:09 am

modemac

Way back when I was a role-player (think "Advanced D&D, 1st Edition"!), my campaign was your usual fun hack-n-slash adventure stuff. I wish I'd had the ideas for political negotiations and the "cold war stalemate" between opposing factions that you're adding to this story. It's giving it an additional level of "realism" and making it more interesting than just "run through the dark tunnel and stab the monster." Smile

2Political Gibberish Empty Re: Political Gibberish Wed May 14, 2014 5:03 am

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

It's important to think about "why" someone's running through the tunnel to stab a monster as much as the "how".

I've endless notes on the history of the world in which Battle Bunnies is set. I'm toying with the idea of putting it into a separate book as the reader of the comic doesn't really need to know everything. That's what kills most fantasy stories: they throw too much info at the reader.

https://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

3Political Gibberish Empty Re: Political Gibberish Wed May 14, 2014 5:29 pm

indrejue

indrejue

some of us like that useless info though. especially those of us who like Robert Jordan's wheel of time series

4Political Gibberish Empty Re: Political Gibberish Wed May 14, 2014 10:44 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

Oh, it'll be woven into the stories, but it won't be all thrown in at once.
For example: the religion of the Westlands is charted out, as is the religion that preceeded it, but neither are referenced in this first arc because there's no need for it to clutter up the narrative.

https://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

5Political Gibberish Empty Re: Political Gibberish Wed May 14, 2014 10:55 pm

Zidneya

Zidneya

jollyjack wrote:It's important to think about "why" someone's running through the tunnel to stab a monster as much as the "how".

I don't get that part since purpose and method are two concept that even when they give a glimpse the identity of their characters they are just two independent pieces of the story that ain't necessarily need to be equal, but if you think the opposite it's fine by me .

jollyjack wrote:I've endless notes on the history of the world in which Battle Bunnies is set. I'm toying with the idea of putting it into a separate book as the reader of the comic doesn't really need to know everything. That's what kills most fantasy stories: they throw too much info at the reader.

What the audience need it's entertainment that can either comes from knowledge of the future great expectations based on the information given to them(the last star wars trilogy was based upon that, and no one complained about having to many characters) or ignorance creating a thrilling suspect based on the information unknown to them(like Close Encounters of the Third Kind). If you prefer the second type of plots it's okay after all this is your story however that doesn't mean that denying facts to the audience will have that effect nor providing them with background will ruin the mood.

There have been many fantasy stories that have given a solid clear introduction or background which in return have enriched plots.

• Lord of the rings.(there is plenty of information about the origin of Sauron, Gandalf,and Middle earth, and tales before Bilbo, and their fans haven't complained, instead that info has increased their excitement towards the story. The only complains in that topic  turn around the adding ,deleting and changing plot elements in the movies)
  • World of warcraft.(The audience pretty much everything that revolve around their characters, kingdoms and cities. They know the Dark Legion, Classes, Races and famous characters origins, they know their purpose and expectations. And the only thing unknown is their future everything about the past and present it has been explained beforehand to give them a  environment where they can fully develop.)
  • To Aru Majutsu no Index.(Like you they explain the how, with so much details that I'm staring to think that the writer has a PHD on physics, mysticism and theology because whoa. But they don't let that interpose in the explanations of the why. And it has many characters as well all interacting in the same city.)
  • Marvel comics(People know practically 85% of the information that constitute their entire universe and they are not unhappy with that).
  • Naruto(Lot's of characters, lot's of info, no complaining whatsoever)

There have been plenty of stories that because of their lack of information it has ruined the mood.

• Evangelion: 3.0 You Can Not Redo(The whole reason why I watched an enjoyed the new rebuild series it's because I'm a fan of the series but I'm not gonna delouse myself because of that. I have No idea what the hell happened in the background and present of the third movie.Seriously I saw the movie and half of the time I didn't knew what I was watching.  I don't know why Nerv became the enemy, I don't know how or why they created angels, I dunno the new dicotomi of angels. Even in the previous movie it already showed different plot distortions however if there are no answers in the next film many people are gonna be really upset)
  • Spielberg War of the Worlds(The aliens get a flu and died. So whole suspense created by the. How did they got here? Why did they come here? From which planet did they came? What where they plans? Are others coming? This time are they gonna have success? Is he gonna find safeness for his kids? all those questions that made the intrigue and that we wanted the answers remains unsolved and I'm supposed to feel relieved because the aliens get a flu and died?)
  • Pet cemetery 2(It was supposed to explain more about the cemetery but all we got is a bunch of zombies that need therapy and no answers whatsoever)
  • Halley berry Catwoman(needs one, JUST ONE FAMILIAR FACE JUST ONE THAT'S ALL I'M ASKING)
  • Superman IV: The Quest For Peace(what the fuck was that? If they hadn't putt Lex, Lois and all those characters I would have never saw it, that's why people don't watch Superman III)
  • Planet Of The Apes 2001(until this very day I'm waiting for someone to explain to me the ending PLEASE!! A Thad-raham Lincoln?)
  • Signs 2002(that movie is the finest example that if you don't give answers to the audience questions eventually everything will go through the sink)

So you see just because there are many characters or data that doesn’t mean that the story it’s gonna get ruined.
Menage a 3 it’s a better webcomic than yours and they have like a lot of character interacting all at the same time, I counted like 7 different plots revolving in the last strips.  But if you want people to excite about the plot the best way is to leave them asking. But not for too long. You have to be careful with your recourses. And learn to recognize the difference between a prologue and an introduction. Most of all if the characters are interesting everything will work out fine.

http://zidneya.deviantart.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum