Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone here like worldbuilding?

+9
hiddenflame
Zaran
Xenathos
The Doctor
Pietja
26_9
uziel
Biocat
Vorthon
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:25 am

Vorthon

Vorthon

I was just wondering if anyone here was into worldbuilding. What's not to love about
playing god? I myself have built a science fiction setting in which one of the most
advanced races are a hybrid race with genetic material from humans, a race that was
engineered from scratch, and several species of animal native to earth (leading to the creation of hundreds of subspecies. My e-persona is a member of this species, his subspecies and form
being Torikan Torikan Felis Puma.) Another race is so old that there homestar has
collapsed into a white dwarf, and they have no idea where it is (They now live in asteroid
habitats in the asteroid belt of a red dwarf star).

2Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:29 am

Biocat

Biocat

I've done that. I keep meaning to write mine into a story one day, but I'm saddened by the thought that there is no way I would be able to get in all the details I have.

http://www.kristalstittle.com

3Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:41 am

uziel

I LOVE Worldbuilding, it's my favorite part of story creation!

4Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:46 am

26_9

+1

Every story by me is just a test of new fresh world.

5Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:57 am

uziel

Sometimes I actually make the world before I make the story, or make the world and the story spawns from it.

6Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:19 am

Pietja

I hate worldbuilding because I find lot's of logical, political or social irregularities. And I just can't go with a simple "because it's magic". For me even a origin of a race must be explained, so I can't put an antrophomorphic creatures without having explained, at least in my head, how come they're here and how in the world they're able to live, survive, communicate, etc.
It drives me nuts that I can't make a world in motion because of my fondness of logic and searching every single bolt that isn't in the right place.
Yet, I love illogical fantasy worlds made by others Very Happy.

To go along with the thread, I'm a sociology student (or rather my lazy ass me tries to be) and we have a lot about utopias. I'll have to deliver a lecture on this saturday about renaissance utopias based on "Utopia" by Thomas Moore, "New Atlantis" by Francis Bacon and "City of the Sun" by Tomasso Campanella.
I have a negative feelings towards these concepts, because most end up as a dystopians, yet I can't say I don't find them interesting. For a robots, not for humans, that is.

http://pietja8t8.deviantart.com/

7Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 am

uziel

I hate worldbuilding because I find lot's of logical, political or social irregularities. And I just can't go with a simple "because it's magic".
I completely understand where you're coming from. However, life is full of logical, political, and social irregularities. Hence Dubya.

For me even a origin of a race must be explained, so I can't put an antrophomorphic creatures without having explained, at least in my head, how come they're here and how in the world they're able to live, survive, communicate, etc.
I do this, as well. I explain lots of details as to how and why things are, from the physical features to the most obscure of cultural details, such as the effects of musical aptitude on sexuality in this culture :p

It drives me nuts that I can't make a world in motion because of my fondness of logic and searching every single bolt that isn't in the right place.
This is not a weakness! Do not think of it as such! Just learn patience, and you can utilize this to your advantage!

To go along with the thread, I'm a sociology student (or rather my lazy ass me tries to be) and we have a lot about utopias. I'll have to deliver a lecture on this saturday about renaissance utopias based on "Utopia" by Thomas Moore, "New Atlantis" by Francis Bacon and "City of the Sun" by Tomasso Campanella.
I have a negative feelings towards these concepts, because most end up as a dystopians, yet I can't say I don't find them interesting. For a robots, not for humans, that is.
There's nothing wrong with disliking utopias. However, the overabundance of Dystopias in modern Fiction is a problem. Next time, try creating something in between for more human cultures.

8Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:01 am

The Doctor

The Doctor

I love it. I've got three worlds running through my head (One sci-fi (which is more a whole universe, rather than one world), another more myth (magic and stuff), and the last world is myth meets technology.)

I keep meaning to get myself a 3D design program for my laptop so I can start getting it out my head and off paper that lying everywhere.

9Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:18 am

Xenathos

Xenathos

To be honoust: I heard about it when I saw this topic.

Searched on google and I find it rather interesting. I even did it without knowing it but I have the same problem as mentioned before: Needing every element to work with eachother. But I liked it :3 (still do)

https://www.youtube.com/user/XellXenathos

10Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:43 am

Pietja

And I share the same pain as Biocat - I feel that it's saddening that I'll create a world and I won't make enough of it's nuances come alive in a, let's say - comic or novel form.

But I think we could make a thread about it so that everyone could share their ideas with others. Maps, charts, race designs, architecture desings, politic systems... that's how d&d was created.

11Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Zaran

Zaran

I like worldbuilding because it makes me feel like a god. My subjects are NOT made in my image and therefor deserve to be smooshed...

http://zaranr.deviantart.com

12Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:01 pm

hiddenflame

hiddenflame

WORLDBUILDING??? Very Happy

Hell yes!

I used to be a map maker on star wars battlefront II, but then when I tried to MOD it, broke :/

If only it worked on my new pc, I loved coding the LUA files.. Hex-editting them' geometries...
I forgot most of it but I remembered it was absolutely amazing to create anything I wanted by imagination.

Z-Edit was XYZ compatible too

13Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Pietja

hiddenflame wrote:WORLDBUILDING??? Very Happy
I used to be a map maker on star wars battlefront II, but then when I tried to MOD it, broke :/

Now that you've mentioned it it still like to whip-up some simple trigger-fueled ideas in "Age Of Empires II : Age Of Kings" (IMO the best RTS ever) editor. Once I've made maps for "Heroes Of Might and Magic III".
And waaay back in a day I doodled around in "Duke Nukem 3D" Build Editor by Ken Silverman. Also, I've spent more time messing with "Far Cry 2" editor than actual game Very Happy.
Overall map editors ftw...Cool

And here's a real oldie, but updated with a tablet and GIMP from a sipmle sketch. It poped up on my mind when I've found this thread. Somehow it's still there in my old art folder.

Anyone here like worldbuilding? Mapzrq

Unfortunatelly, I don't remember much about this land, even it's name. But as far as I can tell, the history resolved about myth of Dragon and Phoenix (my concept) wich were eternall travellers through the universe. Once, during their flight over the cold, dark planet they've heard many Sounds Of Souls (again, my concept), desperate and in need of coming to material sphere. But, without the light and it's warmth it was impossible for them to exist, they've also needed a fertile land to live on. So, the Dragon and Phoenix sacraficed themselves. Dragon's corpse made black and arrid earth fertile, and Phoenix corpse warmed the seas and attracted the sun from other galaxy to settle near the dark planet. That is why land's look like dragon and a birdie Very Happy.

I've made names of the various countries, written some history, detailed the political situation, made up some prophecies, created various creatures... but that was when I was... uh... fiveteen? Sixteen maybe? So, quite a long time ago.

14Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Concrete

I build them all the time...
Mostly urban fantasy, some sci-fi, some more horror-oriented.

I especially like building cities.
To bad I suck at drawing them... >/

15Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:38 pm

uziel

I'll see your GIMP and raise you an MS Paint!
Steampunk World Map
Steampunk idea that I had. I just sort of sat down, made the continental blobs, and it sort of fell in.

16Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:12 am

Leak

Leak

In case you need some serious tools to build a world:

The Unreal Development Kit is free for non-commercial use. Smile

(I wonder what kind of game JJ would come up with if he used it?)

np: Public Image Ltd - Francis Massacre (Flowers Of Romance)

17Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:01 pm

hiddenflame

hiddenflame

I forgot to mention that halo 3 is also one of my favorite builders XD
not only the maps, but the actual game variant too

..whaaat? duke nuken 3D has an editor??

Last edited by hiddenflame on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : meh)

18Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Pietja

hiddenflame wrote:..whaaat? duke nuken 3D has an editor??

Yes, for it's time it was an excellent one. Somehow limited compared to UnrealEd wich came two years after, but still, with a little imagination one could make a great levels with it.
And it run under DOS of course Very Happy.

19Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 am

Shognu37

World building I like. Figuring out how the different races interact, where they live, and so on. Maps, I have no talent for. Fortunately, the web is full of them.

20Anyone here like worldbuilding? Empty Re: Anyone here like worldbuilding? Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 am

yellowrock

yellowrock

if you're in need of a good cartographer program, consider AutoRealm. it's a pretty good tool, it's got a fractal line tool for making interesting looking coastlines with, and tons of other good stuff. it's also completely free, which is always a plus.

as far as cultural interactions and stuff, flowcharts can help plan things out. you can draw them by hand or use programs like Dia. it's free too! Very Happy

when writing a good, detailed story, keeping good notes is key, a serious writer carries a little notebook or something around at all times, in case inspiration happens while they are out.

i have written short stories before, and have always loved coming up with worlds and things for them to take place in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum