Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Pacific Rim Evangelion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 pm

How many of you remember them talking about a live-action Evangelion movie a few years back?

Well, according to this Studio Gainax backed out.

Now when I went to see the Hobbit Sunday, I saw a trailer for a movie called "Pacific Rim"

This movie seems to basically have everything that made Eva awesome without the complicated religious symbolism you had trouble following, or the emotionally damaged teen cuties who prompted impure thoughts, followed by a guilty conscience.

Seriously though, there are other similarities aside from the obvious. Such as the IronMan-esque armor that bears a striking resemblance to plug suits & the mysterious asian girl who doesn't seem to get too emotional.

So what do you guys think?

If Gainax hadn't "taken their ball & went home" would this have been Evangelion: The Movie?

And...perhaps most importantly:
Will cake and grief counseling be available at the conclusion of the giant robot battle?

View user profile

2 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:04 am

It's Giant Anime Mecha vs. Cthuhlu.....as written by someone who loves Portal.

View user profile http://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

3 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:35 am

Well, Power Rangers have finally received a film.

From the trailer, I can recognize them, Transformers, Godzilla (at least the recent one), Gundam, a plethora of end-of-the-world sci-fi, and a total lack of innovation and style.

A film for children.

That said, this is absolutely no Evangelion. The whole point was the simbolism and religious underneath (Mechas can be seen as a background, they could be everything else without altering the plot).

View user profile

4 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 am

jollyjack wrote:It's Giant Anime Mecha vs. Cthuhlu.....as written by someone who loves Portal.

Not enough ubersaturated colours and useless wing thingies for an anime robot.

View user profile

5 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

jollyjack wrote:It's Giant Anime Mecha vs. Cthuhlu.....as written by someone who loves Portal.
Is that good or bad? Because, quite frankly, that sounds pretty sweet to me Very Happy


Riikano-Alinaris wrote:From the trailer, I can recognize them, Transformers, Godzilla (at least the recent one), Gundam, a plethora of end-of-the-world sci-fi, and a total lack of innovation and style.
True, but this is Hollywood. Not exactly known for innovation (Of course one could argue that no one has done a giant piloted robot movie before...at least not on this scale).


That said, this is absolutely no Evangelion. The whole point was the simbolism and religious underneath (Mechas can be seen as a background, they could be everything else without altering the plot).
Again: Hollywood. 30-story mechs were probabaly all the potential they saw.


A film for children.
...You say that like it's a bad thing Laughing

Myself, I think it looks cool & at least has potential as a good "popcorn flick". I could be wrong, but I don't see how they could screw it up on that front.

But yet again: Hollywood.

View user profile

6 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:38 pm

...Is it at all odd that I would go and see it just to hear Ellen McLain's voice? It's not even for the GLaDOS thing that has the Portal fandom in a tizzy, man. I just have such a massive crush on that woman aaaaaa

View user profile

7 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 am

DarkAngel wrote:

Riikano-Alinaris wrote:A film for children.

...You say that like it's a bad thing Laughing


Maybe I spoiled myself a bit and now prefer complicated films such as "Ghost in the Shell" and "Memento". But that's only me.

View user profile

8 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 am

Riikano-Alinaris wrote:Well, Power Rangers have finally received a film.
Power Rangers got a film within a year of the original series. It got a whole bunch.

View user profile

9 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 am

I know this is a really old thread, but I just saw the new Full trailer of PR and I instantly recognized Evangelion. If it's not a copy (because as someone said, no teens and no angels), it definitly got at least 99% of the "inspiration" from Evangelion. In fact, I would say they took out the teens and angels because it's too complicated for the rest of the world to grasp (no offense intended, I believe Japanese are just more 'used to' weird stuff).

Anyway, I did a quick Google search for Pacific Rim Evangelion and came up with this:

youtubemultiplier (dot) com / 50ccbffc69313-pacific-rim-evangelion.php

So, yeah... It is a Hollywood Proto-Evangelion movie. What do you think now?

View user profile

10 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Thu May 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Ok. Now this thing is definitely going to suck.

View user profile

11 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm

I have faith in it, actually. Looks pretty cool but I reckon it's gonna be damn near impossible to get NGE out of my (our) head(s) while watching it, so we'll see how it goes...

In fact, in another article (screenrant (dot) com/guillermo-del-toro-pacific-rim-japan-anime/) Benicio del Toro said that he actually wanted to do a Kaiju movie, so he MUST have gotten 90% of the inspiration from NGE.

At least they had the decency of not calling it a Live Action NGE.

View user profile

12 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 pm

fcorazao wrote:I have faith in it, actually. Looks pretty cool but I reckon it's gonna be damn near impossible to get NGE out of my (our) head(s) while watching it, so we'll see how it goes...

In fact, in another article (screenrant (dot) com/guillermo-del-toro-pacific-rim-japan-anime/) Benicio del Toro said that he actually wanted to do a Kaiju movie, so he MUST have gotten 90% of the inspiration from NGE.

At least they had the decency of not calling it a Live Action NGE.
I think that if they had tried to make an Eva movie, it likely would've sucked, as it would've been damn near impossible to have both lived up to fan expectation & been made accessible to a broader audience (an understandable goal in any big budget film).

I saw the Japanese trailer with the intro by del Toro. This isn't a rip-off of Evangelion, it's intended to be a tribute to it & other entertainment like it.

I suppose you can count me amongst the "faithful" (or would "hopeful" be a better term?).

View user profile

13 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Thu May 02, 2013 4:05 pm

DarkAngel wrote:
fcorazao wrote:I have faith in it, actually. Looks pretty cool but I reckon it's gonna be damn near impossible to get NGE out of my (our) head(s) while watching it, so we'll see how it goes...

In fact, in another article (screenrant (dot) com/guillermo-del-toro-pacific-rim-japan-anime/) Benicio del Toro said that he actually wanted to do a Kaiju movie, so he MUST have gotten 90% of the inspiration from NGE.

At least they had the decency of not calling it a Live Action NGE.
I think that if they had tried to make an Eva movie, it likely would've sucked, as it would've been damn near impossible to have both lived up to fan expectation & been made accessible to a broader audience (an understandable goal in any big budget film).

I saw the trailer with the intro by del Toro. This isn't a rip-off of Evangelion, it's intended to be a tribute to it & other entertainment like it.

I suppose you can count me amongst the "faithful" (or would "hopeful" be a better term?).

Agree 100%, and yes, hopeful is a better word for it.

View user profile

14 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:15 am

No.

Portal Episodes: Pacific Rim.

View user profile

15 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 pm

I've never seen Evangelion, but I loved Pacific Rim.

View user profile

16 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:57 pm

General Zod wrote:I've never seen Evangelion, but I loved Pacific Rim.

You have never seen Evangelion. You might want to keep it that way.
Page 8 of this the best explanation. Just replace Skys of Arcadia with Pacific Rim and Final Fantasy with Evangelion.
http://jollyjack.deviantart.com/art/How-to-play-Skies-of-Arcadia-70712863

View user profile

17 Re: Pacific Rim Evangelion? Today at 5:04 am

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum