Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Character voices

+14
Tzmhero
yiangos
Contrast
RennisTora
Cee64E
Leak
DarkAngel
GdoubleWB
Riikano-Alinaris
cenaris
EmfinnFZ
not_cenaris
jollyjack
zombiepancakes
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Character voices Empty Character voices Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:33 pm

zombiepancakes

zombiepancakes

I think Sequential Art is an awesome comic and I love reading it. When I read it I don't just read the words (and I'm sure other people do this too) I put the words into voices that I think the characters might sound like. Being American, I always made them sound like American people, but then I realized THEY'RE BRITISH which means they also have BRITISH ACCENTS! Thinking of this completely changed the way I read the comic and maybe made it even more awesome. I just had to share this little story with all of you on the forums...............LOLOLOLOLOL KAT AND ART AND PIP WITH BRITISH ACCENTS

2Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:04 pm

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

That's one of the reasons I tried to keep things as "Anywheresville" as possible; so people would read the characters with whatever accent they had as a mindset.
Some of the gags/events, however, required at least a regional geographic pinpoint.

https://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

3Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:04 am

not_cenaris

not_cenaris

I've always imagined Scarlet having a French accent, Jack - Russian, Pip - Brittish, Art and Kat - US, because I can't imagine those "whatcha", "c'mone" other way.

4Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:23 am

EmfinnFZ

not_сenaris wrote:Scarlet having a French accent

Really? Hillary is my nominee for French...

http://cityofsteam.com/

5Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 am

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

EmfinnFZ wrote:

Actually; I've mentioned before that Scarlet (and Co) have a bit of a French accent.

6Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 am

cenaris

cenaris

jollyjack wrote:
EmfinnFZ wrote:

Actually; I've mentioned before that Scarlet (and Co) have a bit of a French accent.

But what about her Leeloo influences? Doesn't she have LeeLoo's voice?

7Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:25 am

not_cenaris

not_cenaris

cenaris wrote:
jollyjack wrote:
EmfinnFZ wrote:

Turns out, Ukrainian accent is similar to French.

8Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:26 am

jollyjack

jollyjack
Admin

cenaris wrote:
jollyjack wrote:
EmfinnFZ wrote:

I always felt that kinda Franco (or was that just me?)

9Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 am

cenaris

cenaris

jollyjack wrote:
cenaris wrote:
jollyjack wrote:
EmfinnFZ wrote:

Never really sounded French to me. In fact I couldn't tell. Sounded more "cute" than a nationality (?)

10Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:42 am

Riikano-Alinaris

Uhuu, try to scroll the page up and down fast, your mutual quotations made a hypnotic pattern.

That didn't mean anything. By the way, I always imagined Jack with a mad, cackling voice, like... well, try to imagine a satanist... Twisted Evil

11Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:27 am

I've always thought of the Quads with a kinda hillbilly-ish accent. Probably just their poor grammar skills that give that feeling Very Happy

As for the others, although I know they're supposed to live in Britain, I always imagine them with basic American accents.

12Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:59 pm

GdoubleWB

GdoubleWB

I think before the specification of the SA gang's residence, we liked to imagine that they were native to our countries and our dialects. For example, being Canadian, I just imagined them living somewhere in Ontario (even though I'm from Alberta) and all speaking like the people around me.

13Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:02 pm

GdoubleWB

GdoubleWB

cenaris wrote:
jollyjack wrote:
cenaris wrote:
jollyjack wrote:
EmfinnFZ wrote:

Never really sounded French to me. In fact I couldn't tell. Sounded more "cute" than a nationality (?)

I always kind of pictured her with a bit of a Louisiana drawl, but a bit more levelled and cuter.

14Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:28 am

DarkAngel

DarkAngel

I don't know about her accent, but I always imagined Hilary as being voiced by Marina Sirtis - probably because she's already played a non-human, yet very hot villainess Laughing

15Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Riikano-Alinaris

Who played?

16Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:20 pm

DarkAngel

DarkAngel

Riikano-Alinaris wrote:Who played?
Assuming that's a question for me (apoligies if I'm mistaken), Marina Sirtis voiced the character Demona in the 90's Disney cartoon series "Gargoyles". A show many - myself included - consider to be one of the greatest animated series of all time.

17Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:36 am

Riikano-Alinaris

DarkAngel wrote:
Riikano-Alinaris wrote:Who played?
Assuming that's a question for me (apoligies if I'm mistaken), Marina Sirtis voiced the character Demona in the 90's Disney cartoon series "Gargoyles". A show many - myself included - consider to be one of the greatest animated series of all time.

Yes, it was for you. I think I have seen a pair of episodes long time ago...

18Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:12 am

Leak

Leak

Riikano-Alinaris wrote:Yes, it was for you. I think I have seen a pair of episodes long time ago...
Maybe it's just me, but isn't Marina Sirtis more widely known for playing Counselor Deanna Troi from Star Trek: The Next Generation?

19Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:44 am

DarkAngel

DarkAngel

Leak wrote:Maybe it's just me, but isn't Marina Sirtis more widely known for playing Counselor Deanna Troi from Star Trek: The Next Generation?
You're right, of course. I didn't mention this because I was thinking of her as a voice actress. Probabily should have though. Sorry.

20Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Cee64E

I could see Ms. Sirtis as Hillary. And "Gargoyles" was one of the best shows in th 90's.
I have two suggestions for voices. For Art I would pick Stephen Merchant (Wheatley). I think he has just enough of the put upon in his voice.

For Jack, though, we need someone more sinister. Some basso profundo voice that rumbles with unseen power that belies his size yet has the perfect diction to match his mind. No one but James Earl Jones could be Jack...

21Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:50 pm

RennisTora

RennisTora

GdoubleWB wrote:I think before the specification of the SA gang's residence, we liked to imagine that they were native to our countries and our dialects. For example, being Canadian, I just imagined them living somewhere in Ontario (even though I'm from Alberta) and all speaking like the people around me.
Same here (Southern Ontario for me), I always thought of Pip as having a small voice, maybe someone from Big Bang Theory?

22Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:41 am

Contrast

Contrast

I live in South Africa, but most of the shows we watch here are American, and that's just the way the characters sounded to me in my head when I first starting reading. That didn't change when I realized they were British. It's just one of the advantages of the written word. Characters can sound however I want them to sound in my own head. Not that there's anything wrong with British accents, of course. I just don't see any need to try and consciously force the way I hear the characters to differ from what they sound like to me automatically.

I do have a question about Pip, though. I may be wrong, but aren't the Irish usually the ones who say "feck" instead of "f**k"? And there was that one strip where he celebrated St Patrick's day with some Guinness. Could Pip be Irish?
The answer is probably posted somewhere already, but I'm still exploring the forum.

23Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:04 pm

yiangos

yiangos

Contrast wrote:I do have a question about Pip, though. I may be wrong, but aren't the Irish usually the ones who say "feck" instead of "f**k"? And there was that one strip where he celebrated St Patrick's day with some Guinness. Could Pip be Irish?
The answer is probably posted somewhere already, but I'm still exploring the forum.

Well, according to JJ, his full name is Phillip McGraw. The name does imply scottish descent, though there are several Irish surnames starting with "Mac" (e.g. see here) so it wouldn't be a surprise to me if JJ originally thought that Pip is in fact Irish.

For some reason I can't pin down, as I was writing the above sentences, I remembered this scene from Charlie's Angels II, where the hilarious but unfortunately late Bernie Mac goes up to the irish mafia guy and tries to pretend he's an Irishman.

24Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:12 pm

not_cenaris

not_cenaris

For the last hundred of strips or so, the characters were talking in JJ's voice me. For whatever reason, it's extremely easy to imagine JJ doing a squeaky\girly voice for girls and highpitched for Art.

25Character voices Empty Re: Character voices Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:14 pm

Tzmhero

I always just figured JJ's natural voice for Art, and maybe a steriotypical nerdy voice for Pip. Can't think of anyone else really when it comes to accents... meh. I'm a californian, we have no cool accents here.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum