Collected Curios
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cracked Perpetual Motion? With a Slanky?!

+19
Liam
Shognu37
Mr.Green
cenaris
EmfinnFZ
Zjonni
Username
Flakesfa
Leak
Nikolai
scienceguy8
wolfman-al
Xenathos
Znickarn'
the good samaritan
BenRG
Sylentknight
Kyderra
Frist
23 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Frist

Frist

Cracked Perpetual Motion? With a Slanky?! SA_0674_small

Explode? Crap, Art's well earned money will go to waste D:.

Kyderra

Kyderra

it's sad that it can't walk up the stairs, so they make it explode instead.
makes sense

Sylentknight

Sylentknight

AWWWW...cuuute.
The Squirrel Girls have different shirts on.

Maybe that means that now that they've been away from "Q" for a while they are developing as individuals. Smile

BenRG

BenRG

Kyderra wrote:it's sad that it can't walk up the stairs, so they make it explode instead.
makes sense

Ha! I knew that there would be an explosion in the end! I KNEW it!!!

Now, consider the sort of energy that will need to build up in a slinky (constructed of the amalgam of iron and carbon called steel) to cause its molecular bonds to fracture and it to explode. I'm pretty sure it will be similar to the energy yield from a matter/antimatter reaction from an object of similar mass. That means that the slinky is now essentially a walking nuclear bomb.

Get it out of the house.

Now. affraid

the good samaritan

the good samaritan

But I don't get why it would explode. It's constantly moving, and so it is constantly expending energy, so, therefore, wouldn't it just keep going on forever anyway, sans explosion?

Or, does it also trap the energy it expends? In which case, I would say, a.) OHMYGOODLORDRUN. RUN AWAY. And, b.) this is why we haven't solved perpetual motion yet. And shouldn't.

Znickarn'

The girls just created a memory-leak.

Seriously though; if it continually gathers energy, would it not also gather mass? A certain someone said that E=mc^2. So as it gathers energy, it will also increase in mass, untill it reaches critical-mass. Thus, they just created the universe.

God is a fucking squirrel...

EDIT: BTW, I had to create a new account, since my old "Znickarn'" accout seems to have been killed. It's good to be back! But I lost my postcount!!1 T.T

Xenathos

Xenathos

God is a fucking squirrel...

LOLed SO HARD. Not just 1 squirrel... 4 hot chick squirrels O_o

I lolled also at Kats` reactions: WITH A SLANKY?!
And that face when she looks up when Scarlet says: Until the explosion...

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/user/XellXenathos

wolfman-al

wolfman-al

I knew this would end in an explosion. Science is when things go boom, especially when the Quinquads are involved.

http://www.airpatrolonline.net

the good samaritan

the good samaritan

Xenathos wrote:
I lolled also at Kats` reactions: WITH A SLANKY?!

I know, I laughed too. Her reaction is kinda like in Back to the Future: "You built a time machine...? Out of a DeLorean??" Good times. Very Happy

scienceguy8

scienceguy8

I take back everything I said in the last strip forum about it not being as dramatic or as destructive as I thought. Fortunately, it looks like an easy fix:

1. Open door to outdoors.
2. Nudge Slanky with broom twoards door.
3. Watch gravity-defying Slanky shoot high up into the air.
4. Turn and walk away in slow motion while putting on sunglasses as the Slanky explodes high above, making for an impressive climatic ending. Unfortunately, due to the positioning of the camera in order to capture both the hero and the explosion, the hero's (most likely Art's) errant nose hair will be quite apparent.

http://www.gilberti-industries.com/

Nikolai

Nikolai

hm hm hm. Kat's face....heh heh heh. Doesn't get any better. I have to say that this is my favorite strip of all time. Just from there faces. Smile

http://nikolai-bartolf.deviantart.com/

Leak

Leak

Kyderra wrote:it's sad that it can't walk up the stairs, so they make it explode instead.
makes sense
Real Slankies(TM) don't climb stairs - they level the building! Very Happy

np: Slowdive - Blue Skied An' Clear (Pygmalion (Disc 1))

Flakesfa

Flakesfa

It is amazing that PipĀ“s comic collection have suffered slight to no damage since this comic began, with all the crazy stuff going on in there!

Username

Hah, Cavoration process, I totally get that reference Very Happy

Zjonni

Cavorite! Outstanding. But will it go through a complete Wellsian transmogrification before exploding?

I dunno, Verne.

EmfinnFZ

Username wrote:Hah, Cavoration process, I totally get that reference Very Happy

It saddens me to admit that I also locked onto that word and immediately began to wonder just what the end result of passing gravity through a series of narrowing and widening non-linear gaps in a pair of curved surfaces would be. It comes down to whether there are "photons" (gravitons?) of gravity or if it's a genuine waveform in an unknown medium. Think of the double-slit light experiment.

In either case one should expect roaming zero gravity areas above it, along with smaller areas of highly concentrated (focused) gravitational pull.

So, whose room is directly above the living room and is it Pip or Art being repeatedly slammed into the ceiling and floor in mega-hurricane conditions with gravity shifting from 0G to 4G in a heinously complex but non-random pattern?

http://cityofsteam.com/

EmfinnFZ

scienceguy8 wrote: as the Slanky explodes high above, making for an impressive climatic ending.

Just how far above, and where is mars in relation to above this time?
Somehow I suspect this one will top the relativistic lawnmower incident...

http://cityofsteam.com/

BenRG

BenRG

EmfinnFZ wrote:
scienceguy8 wrote: as the Slanky explodes high above, making for an impressive climatic ending.
Remember: The Martians are already pissed off at Art for sending a lightspeed lawnmower flying through their territorial space. Now, imagine how much more pissed off they'd get if the next thing is apparently some kind of quantum-effect bomb?

War of the Worlds anyone? Art's autobiography may yet be titled: "How My Housemates Ended the World". Laughing

Username

BenRG wrote:
EmfinnFZ wrote:
Remember: The Martians are already pissed off at Art for sending a lightspeed lawnmower flying through their territorial space. Now, imagine how much more pissed off they'd get if the next thing is apparently some kind of quantum-effect bomb?

War of the Worlds anyone? Art's autobiography may yet be titled: "How My Housemates Ended the World". Laughing
War of the Worlds would be very fitting, as it's by HG Wells, the same place the term 'Cavoration process' comes from

cenaris

cenaris

But what happens when it reaches CRITICAL MASS? Won't it have enough power to destroy 400 city blocks? They must dispose of it in a sharp's container.

Mr.Green

Mr.Green

I wonder if it comes with an instruction manual.

Shognu37

I wouldn't be nudging the bloody thing out the door...I'd fling it just as hard as I could. ...Which would probably make it explode faster.

Liam

Liam

I'm sure they will be fine if they remember to Duck and Cover.

Shognu37

Liam wrote:I'm sure they will be fine if they remember to Duck and Cover.
Hmm. Well, we all know how effective that would be. Something like trying to block a tractor trailer with kleenex.

26_9

Well, I could use car accumulator and a couple of wires for collecting the energy (or, maybe, i just could plug it with standard power cord and 0,5 V (ferrum charge) -> 220 V voltage transforer).

Unfortunately, Pip has no any wish to create something like an "idea business", while Kat and Art are just working nine-five.

By the way, the slinky is NOT perpetual a real perpetual mobile of first order (it just sucks energy from parallel universes) but, anyway, the third one is fine too (damn, i know only oh-so expensive-and-difficult-through-working Stirling engine).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum