Collected Curios

The new forum for all things related to collectedcurios.com.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ask Jolly Jack!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 40]

26 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:00 am

We had that problem on one of the other forums I'm admin on. I tried to figure it out, but the other admin fixed it. I've asked him how but he hasn't responsed yet. If you can't figure it out JJ, let me know and as soon as the other guy tells me, I'll tell you.

View user profile

27 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:56 am

Xenathos wrote:Do you know why the signatures don`t work?

I'll have a play around with the forum settings and see if I can fix that.....

View user profile http://collectedcurios.forumotion.net

28 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:04 am

Ok. Thanks in advance. :3

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/XellXenathos

29 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:52 am

1. Do you think there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?
2. Are you a Carbon Chauvinist?
3. Do you think that first contact will occur sometime in the next 100 years?

View user profile

30 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Vorthon wrote:1. Do you think there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?
2. Are you a Carbon Chauvinist?
3. Do you think that first contact will occur sometime in the next 100 years?

1. Life. Yes. Intelligent? I think there's a slim possibility.
2. Nope. But this rock is crawling with carbon-based lifeforms, so it's a system that clearly works, and if it works; it'll probably be repeated.
3. Nope. If is out there, it sure isn't local.

31 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:13 pm

Why is it that video games are so hard to translate into movies properly, when comic books seem to have more luck? Is it the writer? Do the producers and the crew not bother looking at source material? Is it because of the structure of said source material? I'm having high hopes on Prince of Persia at least being half decent.

View user profile

32 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Who's your favorite composer/group to listen to when you work? I remember reading you use music to inspire your art sometimes, so just wondering if you have a favorite or a certain recurring composer/group.

View user profile

33 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:50 pm

JJ, can you helps me with my art at all?

View user profile

34 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:46 pm

jollyjack wrote:

Zaran wrote:What does it feel like to be so well known within the art/comic world?

When I become well-known, I'll let you know Very Happy

Well, you ONLY have 25,000 watchers...er...hmm... Very Happy

Oh yea, can you explain this?

Been doing secret experiments haven't we Mr. Jackson? Cool

View user profile http://zaranr.deviantart.com

35 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:37 am

cenaris wrote:Why is it that video games are so hard to translate into movies properly, when comic books seem to have more luck? Is it the writer? Do the producers and the crew not bother looking at source material? Is it because of the structure of said source material?

The problem usually stems from the people making a film not having a passion or understanding about/of the source material.
Comic adaptations have been more successful because the people that make the films are often fans themselves.

GotV wrote:Who's your favorite composer/group to listen to when you work? I remember reading you use music to inspire your art sometimes, so just wondering if you have a favorite or a certain recurring composer/group.

I don't have a single fave.
When you're watching a movie, keep an ear out to the music. If it's big and orchestral; chances are I've bought the CD and am listening to it as a draw Smile

Lazarus Firenze wrote:JJ, can you helps me with my art at all?

There's nothing I can say that isn't already in 101 "How to Draw" books.
The only thing they never put in those is "Practice".
You can read as many tutorials as you like, but your art will never improve if you don't put them into practice over and over.

Zaran wrote:

Been doing secret experiments haven't we Mr. Jackson? Cool

All I did was supply the test tubes.

36 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:54 am

Were it such expensive tubes, that you are not third in line, but second? Smile

Last edited by 26_994 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

37 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:53 am

JJ the scientist.

Weird Scientific Questions Below.
Spoiler:
Have you ever poored a can of canada dry (sodium benzoate) and added zinc with a few old copper pennies into it and fooled the guy at the store pretending it's gold even though you just heated them up a lil to make em brass?

Or have you ever made a grenade filled with thermite and pottasium and just made your own island in the middle of the water by chucking it into a river?

Have you ever blown up a toaster for fun?

Have you ever made your own cup of plasma by pouring water into a wine glass and putting it in the microwave?

Do you know steven hawkings?

Noooooo- those are too specific.

Ok, my real question is, what inspired you to make sequential art?

View user profile

38 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Hello Jolly Jack!

Have I got this right?

Please forgive this n00b (me).
Thank you

hanyou

View user profile

39 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:38 am

hanyou wrote:Hello Jolly Jack!

Have I got this right?

Please forgive this n00b (me).
Thank you

hanyou

Almost right. Switch the names Amber and Jade around Smile
Violet is the one with hair over one eye.
Amber is the one with her hair swept back.
Jade is the one with longer hair than the other 3.

40 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:42 am

Does such naming have any sense?

View user profile

41 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 am

Jolly Jack,

Thanks for the clarification!

26_994

Names: Perhaps ....Amber, Jade and Violet are not primary colors. Art, Kat, Pip are the primary characters or some such an analogous parallel structure or pattern.

View user profile

42 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:14 pm

jollyjack wrote:
cenaris wrote:Why is it that video games are so hard to translate into movies properly, when comic books seem to have more luck? Is it the writer? Do the producers and the crew not bother looking at source material? Is it because of the structure of said source material?

The problem usually stems from the people making a film not having a passion or understanding about/of the source material.
Comic adaptations have been more successful because the people that make the films are often fans themselves.
I'd add that comics are stories, usually presented in linear form just like movies. In fact "storyboarding" is a technique used in planning and developing movies.

In contrast, video games have to allow for player interaction and play. There's a story, but it exists mostly around the game play. It's a different structure, and that increases the difficulty in translating it to a new media. Prose stories have the same problem -- some authors write with great visuals and cinematic sensibilities (Tolkien) while others exceed what can be presented on-screen (Herbert's Dune).

View user profile

43 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:47 pm

I have a question, is there any chance that sometime in the future, say 2 or 3 years, you could do a drawing for me?

View user profile

44 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:36 am

Thanks Phil. I do practice (too much infact) but at least you listen to meees.

Also, has anyone played with Liquid Nitrogen? or made a clous of methane bubbles and set it on fire?

View user profile

45 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Lazarus Firenze wrote:Thanks Phil. I do practice (too much infact) but at least you listen to meees.

Also, has anyone played with Liquid Nitrogen? or made a clous of methane bubbles and set it on fire?

Heh. I have santa

As for the liquid N2, I just love dipping stuff in it and watching it freeze through or throwing a bowlful of it onto water. If there is enough water, there is a bunch of vapor, if not, the water freezes solid (my poor sink Sad)

As for methane, I played with them in lab, although we weren't allowed to set them on fire. Hydrogen would've been fine, but not methane...

View user profile http://zaranr.deviantart.com

46 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:17 am

Hmm. Let us see. A question for the JJ, the pipingrad, the grand muckey muck, Jolliest of Jacks, Pipster, philmeister...okay Im done.

Back to thinking:

As far a conceptual artist goes, what was your favourite assignment thus far; and was it because of the design, the work environment, or just the coworkers lending a hand? And if you had to choose your favourite concept worker who would it be?

View user profile

47 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:22 am

You've gotta' to try patched together at some time and propose one of your characters as a figure. Have you thought about that?

View user profile

48 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 pm

cenaris wrote:You've gotta' to try patched together at some time and propose one of your characters as a figure. Have you thought about that?
Listen to this man for he speaks the truth.

I've just got my third Wapsi Square figure from Patch Together today, and it's great.

Now just to find some space to display them all...

View user profile

49 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:55 am

Sketchtastic wrote:As far a conceptual artist goes, what was your favourite assignment thus far; and was it because of the design, the work environment, or just the coworkers lending a hand? And if you had to choose your favourite concept worker who would it be?

Well, I've only worked as a concept artists for 2 companies: Climax (The UK one, not the Japanese one) and Rare.
The Rare post was probably the best, simply because I had the chance to work with some very talented people.
I doubt many of their names will familiar, but they were: Wil Overton, Ryan Stevenson, Ryan Firchau and Pete Hentz.
All are far, FAR talented than I.

cenaris wrote:You've gotta' to try patched together at some time and propose one of your characters as a figure. Have you thought about that?

Patched Together contacted me a while back making the offer to produce some figures for me. I really, really, really want to take them up on it, but haven't had the chance to draw up any designs yet.
Scarlet will be the first to receive the treatment, when I get around to it.

50 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:22 am

On the subject of patched together, what costs are there for producing the figues? I presume you draw the initial design and then pay a small fee to get it commissioned and produced.

If you could do one of Kat shooting a camera or Chloe in her business suit, you would rule. Forever.

View user profile

51 Re: Ask Jolly Jack! Today at 5:27 am

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum